Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys and girls I made the move to an 1800.Can't say I'm in love with it yet,but I haven't rode it very far.So far it seems to me that the bars are too low and narrow for my liking and no adjustment.Colour is way too bright for my liking as well(bright orangy red).You can hardly look at it in the direct sunlight,but you don't get a choice when you buy used.Thinking about painting a lot of the panels black this winter to break things up.I think that the rad cover grills would look really good black with this red.Bike is an 04 with just under 67k klm's and was way too good a deal to pass up.I was going to buy Reinyroosters 1500(which is very nice by BTW)but this popped up and I thought it might be a long time before I would get the chance to get on an 1800.I was really happy with the 15's,but I figured the move to an 18 was going to have to happen anyway.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things turnout.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
So far it seems to me that the bars are too low and narrow for my liking and no adjustment.
Congrats on the Gl1800, I am sure you'll like it after you've had some time to ride it!

There are at least two companies that make a handle bar riser kit. I installed one on my 2003 and love the difference it made. Several settings as I recall.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
The biggest two items on the love/hate list when I moved from the 1500 to the 1800 are...

You get wet when it rains and the saddle bags and trunk is tiny.

Other than that it's a sweet ride on the 1800. Love the fuel injection and don't miss the carbs at all. The ride is stiffer but the seat is more comfy. The sporty feel of the 1800 is nice compared to the sofa feel of the 1500.

Pegs still drag all the time though, lol

Gratz, now take some pics and share!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Guess I should have said that in my price range and mileage requirements you don't get a lot of choice. Not to mention the timing of the whole deal. Sure I could have waited and picked one I loved the look of, but how long do you wait and how much more is it going to cost? It might never come up.This was a good deal and when you can't buy new you learn to live with what you can afford.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest two items on the love/hate list when I moved from the 1500 to the 1800 are...

You get wet when it rains and the saddle bags and trunk is tiny.

Other than that it's a sweet ride on the 1800. Love the fuel injection and don't miss the carbs at all. The ride is stiffer but the seat is more comfy. The sporty feel of the 1800 is nice compared to the sofa feel of the 1500.

Pegs still drag all the time though, lol

Gratz, now take some pics and share!
Yeah the wife wasn't too impressed with the saddle bags and trunk room.Just meens I have less weight to haul around on holidays.Socks and underwear right?

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Yeah the wife wasn't too impressed with the saddle bags and trunk room.Just meens I have less weight to haul around on holidays.Socks and underwear right?
Pretty much.

I picked up some of those huge plastic bags you can vacuum out the air and now I keep my frog toggs and 1/2 cover in one of those which frees up quite a bit of saddle bag space. Then I made some Plexiglas dividers for on the sides of the trunk to form cubby holes and added a trunk organizer in the trunk lid. It doesn't make more room, just uses it more efficiently.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I get the saddle bags, the wife gets the trailer!!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Congrats F/wing, you will soon be in love with the 1800 I am sure. :claps::)

With the bike being a bright red, how about balancing it with the dark red like on the Candy Apple of the 1500's which looks so nice as a contrast?:)

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
John,
What's in the tube behind your trailer bumper?

That tube Mike is a PVC tube I mounted to give me a place to keep all of my tent poles!

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I figured it was something like that. The other option was sewer hose lol

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I figured it was something like that. The other option was sewer hose lol

LOL, I had a guy in a cage pull up next to me in a rest area and asked me if it was an "air conditioner"... I wish!!!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get the saddle bags, the wife gets the trailer!!!

Don't think that hasen't up more than enough.
The wifes been bugging for a trailer since I first got the 1500.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty much.

I picked up some of those huge plastic bags you can vacuum out the air and now I keep my frog toggs and 1/2 cover in one of those which frees up quite a bit of saddle bag space. Then I made some Plexiglas dividers for on the sides of the trunk to form cubby holes and added a trunk organizer in the trunk lid. It doesn't make more room, just uses it more efficiently.
We tried the vacuum bags one year,but I found there was no give to them it was like trying to pack a bunch of boards.Maybe we just took too much air out of them.I think we still have them somewhere.Maybe we'll try them again.Leaving on the 19th of July to do a run down into the States.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats F/wing, you will soon be in love with the 1800 I am sure. :claps::)

With the bike being a bright red, how about balancing it with the dark red like on the Candy Apple of the 1500's which looks so nice as a contrast?:)
You're right about that.It probably would look good,but I kinda like the blacked out look.Even talked toa guy about powder coating the rims black.The back wheel doesn't look like it's been cleaned since it was new.Don't know if it will clean up the way it is.I know I'm making this bike sound like it's really bad,but it's not.Gotta get some picts posted up.Actually kind of funny because I'm not all that crazy about plain red,but I have a red snowmobile,red atv and now the red Wing.

·
Premium Member
67,686 Posts
I know your feelings on the color deal, my last 6 bikes have all been Black..........

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you 1800!

Get out there and ride it, change the things you don't like to make it yours and you will fall in love with the 1800. It's an awesome bike! I can't keep my wife off mine.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know your feelings on the color deal, my last 6 bikes have all been Black..........
Up for a trade?Blacks my favorite colour.Meet you half way.Be a good trip for both of us.:12red:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations on the new to you 1800!

Get out there and ride it, change the things you don't like to make it yours and you will fall in love with the 1800. It's an awesome bike! I can't keep my wife off mine.
I already changed some stuff and I'm pretty sure it will grow on me.Should be legal by Wed.Tied up with some Ford training for 2 days so I can't get to the license bureau to get it changed over.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
We tried the vacuum bags one year,but I found there was no give to them it was like trying to pack a bunch of boards.Maybe we just took too much air out of them.I think we still have them somewhere.Maybe we'll try them again.Leaving on the 19th of July to do a run down into the States.
Yeah they get stiff as a board when you take out too much air. I just use the one that's a big ziplock now and I don't have to vacuum it out, just squeeze and it's pretty small. I like it most for the cover that I keep with me.

Get out there and start riding that 1800 and you'll fall in love no matter what color it is. My 1500 was like that, great bike but wrong color. Price was too good to pass up and I fell in love:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.