Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an ad the pops up in a sidebar for the R18 BMW. One of the listed features is an open driveshaft??
This is a FEATURE? Sounds more like a liability to me. Just wait till someone gets something caught in the spinning driveshaft and goes down. Seems to be backwards thinking to me.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
There's a write up about that bike in the latest Rider magazine, but I've not read it yet. I know that even on a bicycle, if you get a shoe lace caught between the chain and sprocket it can cause a crash, so I can't imagine any company allowing that kind of "liability" out on the road.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
There's a write up about that bike in the latest Rider magazine, but I've not read it yet. I know that even on a bicycle, if you get a shoe lace caught between the chain and sprocket it can cause a crash, so I can't imagine any company allowing that kind of "liability" out on the road.
I have crashed more than one bicycle because of shoe laces that worked loose.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
A pants leg caught in the chain and sprocket will make you crash also, had that happen when I was not paying attention. I remember buying myself a clip to keep the cuff from getting caught in the chain and sprocket.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Pretty sure they have always had open driveshafts, not really open where you could possibly get a pants leg caught in it but you can see it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
I read the article and they did say it was open,as if that was unusual, but made no other comment.
They really didn't have a lot of good to say about the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts