Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new riding boots today and been wearing them since I came home from work, trying to loosen them up figured I would use some saddle soap on them here in a bit and try and loosen them up too. Im sure willing to listen to ideas or tricks folks have used to soften up there boots as well. These are going to be my riding boots mainly but Im going to wear them about a week and try and loosen them up I HOPE!
One other thing does anyone else spray there Leather jacket with anything? I been using a brand called Obenauf's its like a silicone for leather, just wondered what- if anything anyone else uses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used Mink Oil on my first pair of Red Wings and it seemed to help on that set. I'd wear them for a few hours a day, and let them sit in the sun when I wasn't wearing them. They broke in pretty quick. Since then, I've been pretty lucky on not needing much for break-in. I DO think the oil helps soften them up a bit though. I haven't used anything on my riding jacket, but I would be curious to see what others have to say. I've been running the same jacket for 8 years so it could probably use some love.

·
Premium Member
55,615 Posts
I think you would get more response if you mover this to the Miscellaneous forum.....
There's nothing funny about sore feet............

·
Magic Moderator
4,210 Posts
He's right nothing funny about breaking in new shoes/boots and the pain.
I was trying to break in a pair of sage green Air Force boots and that was more pain than it was worth. I paid $25.00 for them and donated them to Goodwill.
Magic time. I have a Harry Potter wand and can magically move stuff. :ROFL:

·
Administrator
57,427 Posts
I just got a brand new pair of shoes today, daughter bought them at Wally World and came home with them....

I need shoes with the velcro straps, and they are getting hard to find, especially in wide widths.

this last pair are made by Dr. Scholls, first time ever for me to try their products.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
I use a leather care lotion that cleans, moistens and protects on boots, gloves and chaps- I wear a textile jacket~
Meguiers makes some or Leather CPR is good stuff.
New leather make absorb several coats.

New boots, if there are sore spots where you need more room, a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad- applied to inside boot or glove will relax the leather.
Helps to jam a tennis ball or similar item into the spot you need fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
This is the old fashioned way of breaking in boots.....

Fill them with water or soak them in a tub for a while. Put them on over two pairs of socks and walk and walk some more. Let them dry and then treat them with dubbin or the leather treatment of your choice.

Unfortunately boots today are seem to be made differently from the boots of old. They can be hard to break in these days and if they're comfortable on day one out of the store it seems they don't last.

·
Premium Member
55,615 Posts
Give them to someone else to wear for a month and then ask for them back

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've taken boots (when wife wasn't home) tossed em in the oven low temp. Then put your choice of treatment on them. I use mink oil. Even when they need retreating I try to warm them up. Putting them on when warm helps a little with forming.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
the directions for applying Snow Seal to leather says to warm boots by the fire or in oven to 115 F, gently warm.
That opens the pores and the leather will suck sealer- or conditioner, right in.
Buff when cool.
Repeat as needed.

I used the`by the fireplace method` to revive some old gloves and soften new leather winter gloves that had no bend
...at first, using Meguirs Leather Care.
Now they fit like..well, gloves! Not an easy trick with thick winter lining and leather.

Snow Seal will wind and waterproof your boots and gloves, but will not make them softer or help break-in.
A lotion/cream type product is best for break-in and general care

Ck out a Horse tack supply, they have the best leather cleaners and conditioners and Knowledge to get you the right stuff!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have used a good trash bag before and put it inside the boot and put hot water in the boot, to loosen them up. Finally getting these broke in been soaping them daily and even put some polish on them. Tomorrow going to grease them and set them in the son to soak in. Im going to go to boot repair guy here in town, heard he has some leather care stuff. Mink oil is good as well I've used that.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
try the rubbing alcohol on cotton pad method: apply lightly to interior spots that need softening and let sit overnight
The stuff in a spray can shoe leather softener is....rubbing alcohol in spray~

If you have a really bad tight spot, the shoe repair guy has a stretcher that goes inside boot.
Placing little or big nubs on it at strategic points- apply outward/stretching pressure overnight or a few days.
Shoes return to you ready to hike in! Ready to Ride in.

A reminder to all: as we move into the riding in warm temps seasons- Cotton Socks are terrible for riding.
Specialty socks have 3 or 4 fibers mix, they vent out sweat and keep some compression on calf to combat muscle fatigue.

The anti foot-funk agent is a bonus~
Only seem expensive ($20) until you enjoy them a few times...then you're thinking about the special cooling underwear.

·
Administrator
21,847 Posts
Harley riders have the best leather. That's because it's treated with atomized hot engine oil. When a drip comes off the motor, the wind catches it and turns it into a fine mist that surrounds the rider and penetrates the pores of the leather, keeping it supple and rain resistant.

Honda riders had to invent GORE-TEX.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Harley riders have the best leather. That's because it's treated with atomized hot engine oil. When a drip comes off the motor, the wind catches it and turns it into a fine mist that surrounds the rider and penetrates the pores of the leather, keeping it supple and rain resistant.

Honda riders had to invent GORE-TEX.
I am gonna get some great mileage out of this one, to the detriment of my Harley buddies.:ROFL:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
This has come up before so I would like to give my advice based on experience to all of you that purchase new boots (Motorcycle boots or whatever) I am 73 years of age and have been wearing western boots since I was 3 years old. Not when riding because of the leather soles. (too slippery). One of the things that my father taught me was that when you try on a pair of boots...if they don't fit at the time you try them on (They will never fit). The boot sales person will tell you that you need to wear them for a while to break them in. SORRY but the boots won't be what breaks in it will be your feet. I have no opinion what so ever about your choice in boots but please believe this. If they don't fit now they won't fit later.......................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.