Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all,

seems I am doing alot of preventive maintenance before it gets to cold here in NJ..so I decided to replace the brake pads...replaced the old ones with ebc sintered pads and all went very well...only problem, and it may not be a problem, is now when I use the brakes, front or rear, they sound like they're "ticking" or that the pads are

hitting the holes on the rotor...will this go away..????

Bill

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I was wondering if you might have done something to the rotors when you took the calipers off? This does not seem normal to me.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

How did you take the calipers off? Did you use a screwdriver and pry against something or where you able to just pull them off by hand?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

Check your front axle spacing. It is easy to get the front wheel just a little off center, and when you apply the brakes the rotor rubs against the caliper mounting brackets and will make the ticking sound you described.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

unbolted calipers and they came right off, very easy....didn't pry against anything and
the rear brake pads are making the same sound....

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

It would be wider pads.. Mine did the same, It went away after about 100 miles.. As you said, its hitting the holes in you rotor.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

that's what I thought it might be...like a break in thing...never did brakes on a mc but have done hundreds on cars and trucks....thanks for the replies so far guys...
Bill

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Don't forget to use a big screwdriver or something and unplug all those rotor holes when you do it. I was surprised how much dirt/mud had dried in there.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same thing. But they work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

also with all the different brands, some are wider then oem

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

It'll be fine man, don't worry about, it'll wear in.

I once decided it would be a good idea to lock up myold Kawasakiby putting a padlock through one of the holes in one of the front rotors, worked good, no-one stole it, until I forgot one day that I'd done it, it put a lip on that hole an 1/8" wide, as well as nearly throwing me over the handlebars, took a week for that pad to wear down, but it did....:cheesygrin:

But on a more serious note, you need to make sure that the gap between the rotor and the left caliper bracket is .007" or more, that's the manual minimum forthe GL1100, mines about .025".

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

everything looks good, I will go out for a long ride around town today to break them in...always looking for a good excuse to ride.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Ditto what the guys said, about it being the Spacing (or lack there-of) between the brake caliper and the rotor, on the left side.

The Ticking sound is the caliper lightly tapping against the heads of the rotor bolts.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

How can it be calipers if the wheel was never moved...seems the caliper "floats"

????

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Lol we aready know its the pads ALEX BERECZKY... only happen when brakes are used

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
Lol we aready know its the pads ALEX BERECZKY... only happen when brakes are used,
> When you apply the brake, the caliper moves sideways/widthwise to accommodate any mismatch in location between the pads and the rotor... after that move occurs is when the caliper contacts the heads of the rotor bolts, unless you've got the Gap (between caliper and rotor) set correctly in the first place.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

just for giggles, I am going to check out the rotor spacing tomorrow...but I still don't know how the spacing of the bracket and wheel would change...seems if the pads are thicker the space would be larger..but hey, that's why I asked...thanks y'all, love these bikes....

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.