Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone! I just received my new Bridgestone tubeless tires and I did buy tubes for them but- two questions.

1- The tubes I ordered arrived but the rear is a huge heavy-duty tube whose box is easily 2x larger than the front tube's. The rear tire is a 130/90x17 but the tube arrived is 110/90x17. Can I use it?

2- I know some guys run tubeless on these Comstars. My friend's 81 (I think) 750 bike with the same rims (but black) run tubeless... He says that so many people were leary to run tubeless (new concept back then) that Honda just used tubes for a while before people relaxed about tubeless...

The Spitefire II's are tubeless... What are my options?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I've just gone to goldwinginfo.com and it looks like the only difference must be that the 1000's just used tube-type tires on the same rim (besides the spoke flanges being rolled out rather than turned in).

??

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim in the UK honda said that you should not run tubed tyres on comstar wheels.On my 1982 1100 it is stamped on the wheel rim tubless tyres only.I think that the early silver comstar wheels are the same except on the 1100 they reversed the spoke pattern and painted them black. hope this answers your question. :waving::waving::waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Most people I know with late GL1000s are on tubeless tyres now. As Shrek says it was probably just Honda hedging their bets that held everyone back from early tubeless tyres.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

my '78 wing has been tubless since about 1980 (okay only one wheel is because I found a stem that would fit) the bike has 112,000 miles (how many kliks?)

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've seen loads of late gl1000s with tubeless tyres. Never heard of one failing or losing air.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I've seen this too, also I've seen manny GL1000s with wheels from early GL1100s fitted. Probably a better idea if you are worried about using wrong tyres.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It's a question that doesn't really have an answer. I've never heard of anyone having problems fitting tubeless rubber to a Comstar GL1000. The fact that Honda say NO (not unusual of course) is just playing safe on their part, so its a case of doing it at your own risk...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.