Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got new cables and I'm looking for advice on what to use as the lube first time out.Whaday'allthingk about 10w30?

This bike is an '83 so the original cables are 25 years old and the clutch is a bit hard to pull in even after adjusting and the throttle cables don't release like you'd expect them to.

So how about it? What should I use to lube'em?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Cable lube. the stuff I use comes with a clamp thing that directs the lube into the cable. The can the lube is in is pressurised, and if you don't use the adapter it sprays everywhere you don't want it.,,

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Are the cables teflon lined? If they are, lube is NOT recommended.

If they are NOT teflon lined use cable lube.

I think10w30isto thick and might give problems in the cold & would collect a lot of dirt & become sticky.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Got the cable lube device and have used it on other bikes.Works well and I'd recommend it.
OK 30w may collect dirt.I hear ya.Good thought.
Teflon coated? Don't know and hadn't even thought of that.I'll see if its mentioned on the packaging.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Not teflon coated but some cables have a Teflon LINER- looks like a white plastic tube inside. I think cable lube can be used to even clean the crud out of:cooler: these cables, but they don't need lube.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Checked but don't see any white plastic so maybe not a teflon liner but man are they smooth compared to what is on the bike now!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Using lube on Teflon lined cables (OEM) will often cause the liner to slip inside the outer casing. Makes for a big mess and pretty much ruins the cable.

As been said - if it's lined with Teflon, forget it. If not, I use silicone lube designed for Treadmill belts. I think it's called SuperLube or something like that.

The cable will tell you if it needs lube or not. Very easy to "kill with kindness" wait and see...

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK but right now its a moot point because the cables I ordered came in and they sent me two of the same cables.Both push cables.Of course I didn't know they were duplicate cables till I went to put them on the bike.Now it sits unassembled with one good cable on awaiting the other.So now I have to wait till I get a resolution AND a new CORRECT cable for the pull side.
DARN...thats a week delay.And I'll have to put my armor back on in preparation to do battle.I started out nice with a phone call and now await their return phone call.Crap...I hate conflict.
I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Screw it man.I'm not waiting two weeks to get the correct cables.I'm just lubing the old ones that look pretty good by the way and putting them back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.