Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

When I was in Daytona last week, I "button holed" the Dunlop guys and asked them when they were coming out with their new E3 tire with the triple compound make up - center of tread harder than sidewalls and sidewalls getting progressively stickier as you move away from the center... The Dunlop guys said they were in production and that they would be available in early April...

Subsequent to that conversation my riding buddy just called Dunlop and asked primarily the same question... The response was a bit puzzling in that the customer service reps answer was that ONLY the back tire was being introduced with the triple compound design...

To my way of thinking, I would like both tires to be of the same compound make up and additionally, in that the vast majority of braking force takes place on the front tire, (assuming proper technique) their answer was even more puzzling to me... It has been my experience that my front tire wears faster than my back tire, and I always like to change tires as a "set" anyway...

So - - - - are any of you currently running this new Dunlop triple compound tire, and if you are, do you have any feedback for the rest of us and any comments regarding my thoughts on only the back tire being of the triple compound technology design???

The CS rep said that when you now order a new set of E3's, you will get the triple compound back tire and the regular front tire... My buddy also asked if Dunlop was addressing the noise generated by the E3's and pretty much got the "deer in the headlights" answer...

All comments are welcome ;)

Les

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,

Well, I'm currently running Avon Cobra's and they are noisy too... Are you running the new triple compound rear tire???

Les

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
After visiting the Dunlop site there are only two tires listed for MT (multi tread) built and neither are EIII's. American Elite under HD and one sport touring are all I see, both being rears. As usual there seems to be some misinformation regarding who told what when.:) It looks like a brand new tire model and should not be confused with EIII.

I run EIII tires and they do sing a little in turns after some 15k miles, currently have 20k on them and would not trade them for a lesser mile tire. And do not find a little corner singing a deal breaker when compared to engine, exhaust, occasional rattle, stereo and wind noise. YMMV.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/

·
Large Member
788 Posts
..and if we were on HDs, we'd never know there was any noise from them :ROFL::ROFL:

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
As far as the front not being a MT design I trust the tire engineers not purposely endangering my life and they did their testing on handling character.

Many guys mix and match tires (car tires, rears on front etc.) The sparks will be flying from guards, pegs and exhaust long before any tire limits are met.

The tire looks interesting and may consider if sized and priced for my ride but do not like to be a Beta tester. Will wait for a consensus.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I won't be buying any triple compounds till they been out at least a couple years if I ever buy any!

I'll let the rest of the world have the blow outs, cracks, splits, bad casings, delaminations, and any other problems they may have.

Maybe someday after they have been REAL WORLD REAL USE TESTED and proven to be safe and reliable, THEN and ONLY THEN I may try one!
Lab testing and computer tested means NOTHING in the real world!

I bought a set of Sears tires for a car once, 3 of 4 blew out and were replaced free.
I later found out they were discontinued because they were Kevlar belted, and though Kevlar is stronger than steel the belts simply did not hold up to heat generated in tires so there was tons of blow outs happening just like MINE.
I did not like the fact I was basically putting my life on the line to test their new type of tire! I'm sure they passed lab testing, but that means nothing in real world use and they got terminated!

I don't think I like the idea of dual compound anyway!
The Bridgestone Spitfires are a dual compound, harder center and softer sides for same reason as these new Dunlops.
My rear for no reason at all got tons of splits/cracks in a fresh new tire in less than 5K miles. Guess where they were all at. Yep, right, correct, just left and right of the center tread in the casing! I bet that was really close to where the dual compounds meet too!
I've seen quite a few pictures of other Bridgestones with the same splits/cracks in the same area.
I know for a fact my tire was never abused in any way what so ever and was rated for far more weight than my 1100 ever carried.
Just plain bad tires, at least at that time! 2010
Maybe just a bad batch? Or bad design?

Really my opinion on these several compound tires is not that good anyway.
I mean if a person rides like they got some sense in the curves and can maintain proper control of their bike in the first place there are not that many accidents due to loss of traction. Maybe a few like hitting an unexpected wet area in a turn, it happens, but not the main reason for most wipe outs.
Most wipe outs seem to be rider error and loss of control, not tire related!
I can grind my crash guards with 7 year old E3's and also with my Austone car tire on the rear.
Not that I wanted to! As I said, rider error! I goofed up, I admit it!
I hit a turn much harder than I really wanted and actually scraped the crash guards! The E3's had decent tread but were 7 years old!
I also done the same thing, different turn with the Austone car tire on rear and a Pilot Activ rear mounted on front with same bike months later!
My tires BOTH TIMES I did it held the road perfectly fine. What more can you ask for?? How much harder can you hit a turn other than grinding the crash guards? LOL
Ok, maybe some crappy crotch rocket with twice the lean angle? But I have blown away a few of those with my 1500's on twisties kinda recently LOL

No compound is going to hold well on gravel, sand, sawdust, oil slicks, ice, etc.. or anything else that slides or rolls under your tires, or when bouncing over road kill. If the weather is bad probably no excuse to be riding curves so fast as to need special compounds either LOL

One rider, very experienced I know of wiping out last year was from a front tire slipping out, washing out, in a wet curve. Better rear tire would not have done any better when the front tire was what failed to hold the road in an unexpected wet curve.

When it comes to emergency braking in a panic "NEED TO STOP NOW" situation, the CENTER tread is what counts! That's what your gonna be on when it's time to jamb on the brakes hard as you can just short of going into a skid! That's where they want to put the HARDER compound which has LESS traction!
True, the center tread is where the most normal wear is, but IT IS where you need the most traction also!
If your starting out on wet surface, or need to suddenly speed up drastically fast to avoid getting hit by a cage then the center tread is where your most likely to be riding, the part where they put the least traction!
When that cage pulls out in front of you or a deer jumps out of the woods onto you, braking extremely hard is normally on that center tread, where the least traction is!

As far as hard braking for safety and tire slip in turns, they should be more concerned with the front tire anyway than the rear! Most your braking is on the front tire, it needs the most traction! Most your Really Hard braking will be in an UPRIGHT position so the front tire Center tread really needs the most traction!

In hard curves you can control the traction allot on the rear tire by how you power through a turn. The front tire is ALWAYS just being pushed through the turn, the front tire again needs the most traction!
If a person hammers the throttle in a hard curve and breaks traction that is user error and not tire related! It happens and those people need to learn to ride!

So they want to make a REAR tire with less traction in the center and don't seem to be doing much with the front tire at all EH?? Or the front tire will have less traction in the center also if they make it same way?

Nope, neither is really for me!

I don't claim to be any good at twisties, matter of fact I always say I am not good at them.
I know the facts of how to ride them hard and handle them well, I am just not good at actually doing it, so I ride like a granny in twisties unless I screw up and user error I grind my crash guards LOL
At least my tires held tight even if I did hit the turn 20mph to hard!

I have however at one time been heck on wheels street racing twisties in rear wheel drive cars which is same basic facts other than the lean angle which bikes have but cars don't.
Car and bike facts, you control rear wheel traction in turns with proper use of the throttle!

Wonder why I think multiple compounds are a gimmick?

Maybe for track racing they have a real use.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input so far guys - some very good points have been brought up so far - keep the comments coming... The information my buddy received from the Dunlop CS rep was in fact that are designated E3 and are referred to as MT design but that would be transparent to the buyer... The CS rep also said they they would be locally available around the middle of April, so I expect we'll start to see them by then...

I tend to be like Chromo and usually take a "wait and see" attitude before buying the newest and greatest widget, although I was one of those that was riding on Michelin Gold Standard Radials on my 1500 and thought it was the best tire I had ever ridden on... I paid no attention to the recall which really wasn't a real recall and rode them until they needed replacing with any issues...

Les

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
Triple and quintuple compounds have been used in MotoGP for awhile now, so it's really nothing new, just that technology is coming to streets.

All motorcycles tires have at least two compounds and have since I've been riding. The front tire on most sets of tires is a softer compounf than the rear tire. Here is what the compound structure looks like on Micheln Power Pure and a Micheln Pilot Power 2CT looks like:

This is very typical for motorcycle tires.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Remember, the terms 'harder' and 'softer' are RELATIVE. The 'hard' compound still might be much softer than a regular car tire (not that one of those should ever be used on a motorcycle, I just mentioned it as an example).

BTW: No, my E3s are from last year, and my bike is a 1500.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,531 Posts
I'm kinda confused here as when I put the rear E-3 on my bike, I was kinda impressed with how deep the tread was in the center of the tire which was about twice as deep as the 2 previous tires I had on there. During my examination of the tire before I put it on I used my fingernail to check how hard the rubber was and in the center of the tire my fingernail did not leave any impression, felt pretty stiff, and while working my way to the outside of the tire the compound felt softer and was leaving a bit of an impression that I could see...

Yes I know using my fingernail is not a very scientific way of testing how hard the compound is but it seemed to me that there was 2 compounds being used???

BTW, I installed the tire about 3 years ago....

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
Yes I know using my fingernail is not a very scientific way of testing how hard the compound is but it seemed to me that there was 2 compounds being used???.
But it is. My nail is a cylinder bore checker. Any scoring which catches the nail requires repair and my elbow doubles as a torque wrench.;)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I'm kinda confused here as when I put the rear E-3 on my bike, I was kinda impressed with how deep the tread was in the center of the tire which was about twice as deep as the 2 previous tires I had on there. During my examination of the tire before I put it on I used my fingernail to check how hard the rubber was and in the center of the tire my fingernail did not leave any impression, felt pretty stiff, and while working my way to the outside of the tire the compound felt softer and was leaving a bit of an impression that I could see...

Yes I know using my fingernail is not a very scientific way of testing how hard the compound is but it seemed to me that there was 2 compounds being used???

BTW, I installed the tire about 3 years ago....
I believe the E-3's that fit the 1200 are multi-compound, MT90B16 in front and MV85B15 in rear. The ones that fit the 1500 and 1800 have no M in the name.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

All over the map here. I run E3's on my 1500 and get good mileage on them. They sing along in the corners just fine.

So are E3's already MT tires, or what ?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Sorry Hodgy if you did not get them this year they are not the new E3 MT's.
I spoke with Dunlop Headquarters in January 2013 and they had not rolled off the production line yet and were not expecyed to be in production till early March 2013.
I have had good luck with the E3's on my 1500 as much as 18000 miles one season. I am going to try the E3's MT whenI can find a set but no luck so far in Canada anyways….

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

That's OK as I have another summer of riding on the rear and sounds like it is only the rear that will be MT.

No riding here this weekend, new snow and -16 this morning, so I will be riding the Ferguson with the snowblower later.

I checked the site where I buy tires.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/

They don't have a E3 MT listed.

Their price for a E3 160/80B16, 1500 rear tire, is $198 with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry Hodgy if you did not get them this year they are not the new E3 MT's.
I spoke with Dunlop Headquarters in January 2013 and they had not rolled off the production line yet and were not expecyed to be in production till early March 2013.
I have had good luck with the E3's on my 1500 as much as 18000 miles one season. I am going to try the E3's MT whenI can find a set but no luck so far in Canada anyways….
That pretty much jives with what the Dunlop Reps told me at Daytona - there were some already out but wide spread availability would be about mid April of this year...

Les

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I talked to the Dunlop rep at a bike show in February they said the MT E3s are coming out this March ..I just installed front and Back standard E3s because the Dealer didn't know anything about Multi tread .my old tires were Dunlop E3 front and a Metzler 880 rear ..Noisy in corners ..the new Dunlops are quiet...for now

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

Does anyone know what the MT tire designation is ? ie.160/80B16.

I have the Dunlop book I picked up at the Bike show this designation is for the 1500.. a Bias tire and will also have somewhere on the tire an MT.. Multi Tread designation

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.