Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 GL1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow, bike was running. I purchased a new dyna s from ebay. I followed the instructions and at this time the bike is not running.

Static timed it. Blue wire lines up with f2. Red wire from turn signal to dyna red wire. Ballest resistor swapped.

Cam rotor module in place.

Bike won't fire. Every so often it grunts like it's too far advanced.

Any ideas what's wrong?

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
I know nothing about the Dyna ignition except they don't seem to be reliable.

·
Registered
Several
1,442 Posts
I agree with Bryanlj. I do not understand what the turn signal would have to do with ignition.

Just looked at Dyna wiring diagrams online and do not see any connections to turn signal.

Rayjoe

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
It would make sense to connect it to the black ignition wire.

·
Registered
75 GL1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Bryanlj. I do not understand what the turn signal would have to do with ignition.

Just looked at Dyna wiring diagrams online and do not see any connections to turn signal.

Rayjoe
The turn signal white and green wire is a constant 12 volt source that is powered by the ignition.

·
Registered
75 GL1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hellow, bike was running. I purchased a new dyna s from ebay. I followed the instructions and at this time the bike is not running.

Static timed it. Blue wire lines up with f2. Red wire from turn signal to dyna red wire. Ballest resistor swapped.

Cam rotor module in place.

Bike won't fire. Every so often it grunts like it's too far advanced.

Any ideas what's wrong?
Update, I used a timing light to find the actual F marks. Running now but having cut out issues. When it runs its better than the points, just have to see why it's pwering down. Looking at turn signal wiring next.

·
Registered
75 GL1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything in order now. The cheap clip on connector was the cut out issue. I never liked those things and I should have avoided it from the start. After 15 minutes of test riding I can say performance is better than expected. It's as smooth as silk, idle speed increased a little, I may be a tad advanced. Going to get one of those clear caps to time the engine without oil gushing out. I just have to touch the starter button and it starts, no cranking. I'll never have to clean or adjust points again. Going to keep a spare electronic unit on board as backup. Dyna was cheaper than a set of points and condensers. The cost for the GL is low, other bikes not so low.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I have had a Dyna in my GL 1000 since around 1995 and I put in Dyna coil right around 1995 also. Can't remember the exact year but I do remember that one pick up coil quit in 1999. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since. Last year I put the Dyna in my other GL 1000. Runs great and starts great. I think I may sell the bike this year.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Just put a new dyna on the 76 i just restored. Had one on my 78 as well. When timed right they are fantastic. I also changed stock coils out for dyna coils and removed the ballast resistor. My son, who was gifted the 76 after the restoration, loves it. Hes put almost 2,000 miles on it since he got it with no problem.
I understand some prefer points, but I do swear by the dyna products.
Dyna does state to use the turn signal wire, but yeah, that connector sucks. Soldered in and wrapped with self sealing electrical tape (military grade stuff) or shrink tape is the better option

1 - 12 of 12 Posts