Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just installed new Jardine turn down slipons on my 86 Aspy tonight and I am not at all happy they are much louder than I expected I would have been happy with a nice low rumble a little louder than stock but this is not what I had hoped for- not to mention but when I came in after a test ride my beautiful bride informed that this is not going to work and I need to quiet it down.

My question is does anyone know if there is any way to install baffles in this particular exhaust or quiet it down? I know the stock exhaust is the best way to go but at $700. for new and not wanting to spend good money on used not knowing for sure it would be in any better shape than the old . Jardines or Mac seemed like the logical choices and after searching the arcives most people seemed to like Jardines best and appx 50% of those who purchased Jardines didnt like them, add one more to thatlist.

That being said I do like the way they look installed and they seem very well made and would like to keep them if I can quiet them down.

Gotta make Momma happy.:?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Steve,

I've just been through a similar situation with my GL1500. The previous owner put a set of Thrustmaster Daytonas on it without baffles. It sounded nice at idle, but droned quite a bit going down the highway and if I accelerated hard it was loud as heck. The bike wasn't running all that well either. It had a bad stumble on takeoff (almost to the point of stalling). Tonight I installed baffles in the Daytonas and it made a world of difference. The bike is quite a bit quieter, the off idle stumble is almost completely gone and the low end torque is back! :action:

Are the Jardines one piece or are the tips separate? If they're one piece I don't see any way to install baffles.... Unless you're willing to cut off the turndowns that is...

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

There is always the Harley take offs many of us adapt . I use the set of a Road Glide .This is on an 1100 but should be similar for a 1200 .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Outlaw- my problem is just the opposite in town at slow speeds it seems quite loud but at highway speeds I like the way it sounds. The mufflers are one piece with a turn down at the end wasnt sure if there was a baffle that can be insterted from the upstream side or not. Onawing-I did consider the Harley option but not ever owning one I was afraid that even the stock mufflers would be as loud as the Jardines turned out to be.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Have heard of others bundling up steel wool for homemade baffles, not sure i would recommend that though...if use too much would not be good thing....

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

steve1163 wrote:
.... Onawing-I did consider the Harley option but not ever owning one I was afraid that even the stock mufflers would be as loud as the Jardines turned out to be.
Its very seldom we hear an HD with stock exhuast in place . It seems most factory HD mufflers are left at the dealers service bay dumpster .

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Steve years ago i made baffles with a piece of pibe cut slots in them then bent them down. If you have room before you slip thme on measure to see how long they can be. You could also look aat using a butterfly baffle that could be adjusted from the out side.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok a couple things, I rode to work and back today and the sound is starting to grow on me I would still like to tone it down a little and will look into making a baffle to help with that- as a side note I called Jardine today to see if they had any options and they said that there are no options avaible to quiet them they are loud and thats that.

In the mean time I will live with them I do like the way they look and like I said the sound is growing on me I do 100 plus miles a day during the week and always go somewhere on the weekends so It wont take me long to see how I truly feel about them.

That being said I bought a pair of Harley Dyna stock Mufflers off of one of the guys working for me for 25 bucks stock only 50 miles on them I will work on making themfit as time allows.

My bride and I are going on a 3 hour ride to watch our daughter play in a drum line competition this saturday so we will see how she feels about it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice:claps::claps::claps:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had Jardines on my '86 SEI. I didn't find the noise objectionable in town but the drone on longer rides was a bit more than I liked. When I let my brother ride my bike it sounded cool when he went by me, a lot different than I though from riding it myself. Nice looking pipes though.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

what was wrong with your old exhaust?

Did you switch them out just for the sound?

If so, and you don't like the new exhaust note,
why not just put your old mufflers back on.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Exavid-I really like the looks too and I had a friend do some drive byes at diffrent speeds and it sounds great from the side lines its the noise with me on the bike that I dont like it seems much louder in the drivers seat.

Norton sorry I didnt mention it but my old exhaust was falling apart I had to do something- by the way I really enjoyed your recent adventure read every post, 6 more years till retirement and mamma and I are planning a similiar trip.

:july4thflag::july4thflag:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.