Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found this on a dealers FAQ site. Thought it interesting & worth sharing.

Never store a bike with premium gas in the tank. It goes bad the quickest of any grade.

Putting fresh gas on top of old/bad gas will cause the resulting mix to go bad more quickly than you would ever think possible!

Do not use fuel that contains alcohol. Don't fuel up at a station that has an alcohol ingredient sticker on any of its pumps. Pay attention when fueling; if it smells sweet (contains alcohol) stop pumping and go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
Found this on a dealers FAQ site. Thought it interesting & worth sharing.

Never store a bike with premium gas in the tank. It goes bad the quickest of any grade.

Putting fresh gas on top of old/bad gas will cause the resulting mix to go bad more quickly than you would ever think possible!

Do not use fuel that contains alcohol. Don't fuel up at a station that has an alcohol ingredient sticker on any of its pumps. Pay attention when fueling; if it smells sweet (contains alcohol) stop pumping and go somewhere else.
That last one is going to be a bit difficult, around here.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

interesting about the premium fuel going bad faster.

I wonder why?????:baffled:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

Sounds all good in theory, but the alcohol thing is going to be real difficult in states like Missouri that require all gasoline fuels be at least 10% ethanol. I think it is the same in Nebraska and some other states too.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I can't remember the last time I saw a pump without a 10% ethanol sticker...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,666 Posts
imported post

Same here. IF you are in Arizona, it is going to have alcohol in it now.

Last year, I could drive north out of Maricopa county and get good gas.

Not easy now though.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
interesting about the premium fuel going bad faster.

I wonder why?????:baffled:
Could be the anti-detonant ingredient that is in premium gas. Premium is a misnomer IMO.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I think the premimum thing may be true. Here in TN as well as GA, A lot of Chevron and Shell stations have gas with no ethanol. Most late model bikes and autos are OK with up to a 10% blend, just makes the engines run bad, kills gas milage.

Use Stabil gas additive. Keeps gas good for up to two years. Stabil now has a "ethanol" formula to help fight the side effects of ethanol rusting anything metal, and damaging fuel line plastic.

The stuff works, it's amazing, started my pressure washer for the first time with 2 1/2 year old gas on the second pull!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Maybe its because the premium gas is older to start with.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Maybe its because the premium gas is older to start with.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I knew the life span for thestandard 10%stuff has been reported at60-90days or so (I always assume that is in a sealed container and never trust open systems more than about 30 days). And those in the boating world has found it will react with the resin in fiberglass tanks and turn into a jelly like substance that clogs the carbs and such.

Also in open (vented to open air with outa charcoal canaster filter) fuel systems the ethanol will actually pull moisture from theair,In humid ares this can lead to rapidcorrosion of metal tanks.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

Dumb. I fill all my bikes with non-oxy 93 (the only non-oxy gas available around here) and use Seafoam or MMO and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Can't buy ethanol free gasoline around here either.
If I know I'm not going to ride at all, I will add fuel stabilizer.

With the so-called mild winters we have, I make it a point to ride my machines at least once a week, weather permitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.