Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing the walk around on my wing today and noticed that the front fork seal on the port side is leaking. I suppose this would be a great time to upgrade to progressive springs? Please provide your insight. Is it worth it? How much improvement over stock.
I did watch the video and it looks pretty straightforward...

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
It's pretty straight forward and easy on the front but I wouldn't do the front without also the rear, which is harder.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Most fork leaks (at least 75% of the time) can be fixed using this product. Worked for me on two different bikes, including my 1500. Or you can make your own from a soft drink bottle. Google it and you can watch video as to how the "tool" is used.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Seal-Mate-Cleaner/dp/B0039LDF4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291602&sr=8-1&keywords=seal+mate[/ame]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I will have to research the rear also and find out if this is within my budget right now. We have a trip planned for the first week in June. I am trying to justify it with it being a huge difference vs stock ride.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I guess I will have to research the rear also and find out if this is within my budget right now. We have a trip planned for the first week in June. I am trying to justify it with it being a huge difference vs stock ride.

I put the progressive 416's in the rear of my 97, and it made a noticeable difference. I later went with Race Tech springs for the front, but I think I need to add some more preload (Race Tech includes a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe as a spacer - you cut it to the right length to put the correct amount of preload - mine has more static sag than I like, so I'll probably bump up the preload with a longer spacer.) I can't really comment much on the front, since I think I don't have it setup optimally, but as it is, it's definitely better than stock.

I'd say if you're doing fork seals, you might as well do the springs at the same time, but as Dave mentioned, you won't get the full appreciation for the front unless the rear is done as well. The rears are about $400 (USD), whereas the front springs are about $115. When I did my seals, I did the bushings as well - not much more $ while you're in there.

On the progressive front springs, I don't have personal experience (since I went with Race Tech) with them, but I've heard there's more preload than stock and it's very difficult to get the fork caps back on with the progressives unless you have the special tool (or make one, there's a few threads on making your own tool on the forum.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the great information! I will research this tool now. That was a big detail that I was hoping to solve prior to doing the job.

·
Administrator
25,366 Posts
I put the progressive 416's in the rear of my 97, and it made a noticeable difference. I later went with Race Tech springs for the front, but I think I need to add some more preload (Race Tech includes a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe as a spacer - you cut it to the right length to put the correct amount of preload - mine has more static sag than I like, so I'll probably bump up the preload with a longer spacer.) I can't really comment much on the front, since I think I don't have it setup optimally, but as it is, it's definitely better than stock.

I'd say if you're doing fork seals, you might as well do the springs at the same time, but as Dave mentioned, you won't get the full appreciation for the front unless the rear is done as well. The rears are about $400 (USD), whereas the front springs are about $115. When I did my seals, I did the bushings as well - not much more $ while you're in there.

On the progressive front springs, I don't have personal experience (since I went with Race Tech) with them, but I've heard there's more preload than stock and it's very difficult to get the fork caps back on with the progressives unless you have the special tool (or make one, there's a few threads on making your own tool on the forum.)
Not much the same on a 1500. The rear of an 1800 has only 1 shock and a new spring is pretty inexpensive but you need a tool to change it, which I have. The front springs are not like a 1500, I can hold the fork tube in 1 hand and put the cap on with the other, no special tool needed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not much the same on a 1500. The rear of an 1800 has only 1 shock and a new spring is pretty inexpensive but you need a tool to change it, which I have. The front springs are not like a 1500, I can hold the fork tube in 1 hand and put the cap on with the other, no special tool needed.
Yup, sorry for the misinformation, I didn't notice his bike model before I posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.