Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Honda GL1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1979 GL1000 that was loaded for touring but I refit it with as much "original" stuff as I could find. I got it on the road yesterday. There are a few bugs to be worked out, such as what to do with all of the wiring harness behind the headlight housing and under the left side cover of the fake tank, a neutral indicator light that won't go out and what appears to be leakage around the cylinder head gaskets. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt and said the studs need to be retorqued. I'm very happy with it. Finding good dogears took some time and I ended up getting one fabricated locally. 60.000+ miles, Starts right up. Now I have a Vetter fairing, saddlebags, trailer hitch, etc. to stow away. Rt Rear View Beginning.JPG

·
Premium Member
63,849 Posts
Hallo LarryBelmont

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
1979 Honda GL1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a 1979 GL1000 that was loaded for touring but I refit it with as much "original" stuff as I could find. I got it on the road yesterday. There are a few bugs to be worked out, such as what to do with all of the wiring harness behind the headlight housing and under the left side cover of the fake tank, a neutral indicator light that won't go out and what appears to be leakage around the cylinder head gaskets. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt and said the studs need to be retorqued. I'm very happy with it. Finding good dogears took some time and I ended up getting one fabricated locally. 60.000+ miles, Starts right up. Now I have a Vetter fairing, saddlebags, trailer hitch, etc. to stow away. View attachment 321671
Does anyone know the MSRP for a new 1979 Goldwing? I found an article for a 1978 with a list price of $3345, but couldn't locate a price for a new '79. My insurance agent is asking.

·
Administrator
59,033 Posts
Honda GL1000 Gold Wing
Years produced:
1975-present
Total production: N/A
Claimed power: 80hp @ 7,500rpm
Top speed: 125mph (est.)
Engine type: 999cc single-overhead cam, two valves per cylinder, water-cooled flat four
Weight: 295kg (650lb)
Price then: $2,895
Price now: $2,000-$5,000
MPG: 35-40 (approx.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts