Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Native born Texan here. Bike rider most of my adult life but completely new to the Gold Wing line. Haven't ridden bikes of any kind in about 9 years now due to a couple of serious road bike crashes over the years that messed me up pretty bad and now haunt me to a degree. No longer able to ride two wheelers very well as a result and am about to move to a Honda GW Trike and am looking for information and any other helpful info in my selection process. I'm a 70 yo WM and single. 6 foot tall and weight fluctuates between 265 and 300 over about a 6-8 month period due to Diabetes control issues at times.

What are some of the things I need or should know or consider when buying a new 2021 Gold Wing and I guess a Trike conversion kit? I am planning to try and deal with DFW Honda in Grapevine Texas who is reported to be large dealership selling Trike conversions. They're located between Dallas and Ft Worth in Grapevine TX. I live near Cleveland in the countryside, about 45 miles north of Houston up I69. Houston has very poor offerings of what I want so I found the Dallas area location one day while browsing YouTube.

I know nothing more than what I have seen at used bike dealers. Have been looking at used bikes for about 6 months now and have finally decided to just buy a new bike thinking it may well be my last bike I ever buy again at my age and condition. I'm a 100% P&T disabled combat veteran suffering from Agent Orange poisoning while serving a year and a half in the Nam. Anyway that's enough background on me.

I'm very interested in the 2021 model as I said. I'm also very interested in the DCT trans as well. And the Trike kit from CSC. To me it looks great. I have a guarantee of a $50k personal loan or possibly even more if necessary from my banking institution. I'll be making about a 10% or more down payment as well depending on mitigating factors. So where do I go from here knowing this much? Hoping to be riding again within the next two to three months. I have yet to visit the dealership in question as of yet. I didn't want to go until I had a better idea of what I want and hopefully to be ready to place an order for a Gold Wing. Fire away please.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
1st of all, welcome to your forum, and a bunch of swell folks who will be glad to help you.

2nd, with your bio info, I would highly suggest that you select the DCT version. Almost everyone that I have talked with who has bought the DCT model, just praises the thing.

3rd, I am 78 and have a 2002 gl1800 with the typical gear shifter, but I also have a Piaggio MP3 scooter with CVT belt drive no-shift transmission..... hard to really call it a transmission, as it is two centrifugal pulleys that get bigger or smaller depending on speed.

I love that thing, just twist the throttle and go and forget about having to shift gears..... so, I feel that you will enjoy the DCT tremendously.... just twist the throttle and go.... reports are that it is always in the right "gear" and that you can't feel it shift up or down.

The DCT has Finger Shift Mode if you have a need to hold it into a lower gear while drifting down a long mountain road and want to stay off the brakes.... but, there again, I am told that even in normal mode, the DCT seems to sense that it needs a lower gear for going downhill.

Enjoy your search for the "right bike", and welcome ot our family of friends.

Forgot to ask, where in Texas are you? You talked about Grapevine, so you are kinda near the DFW area?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st of all, welcome to your forum, and a bunch of swell folks who will be glad to help you.

2nd, with your bio info, I would highly suggest that you select the DCT version. Almost everyone that I have talked with who has bought the DCT model, just praises the thing.

3rd, I am 78 and have a 2002 gl1800 with the typical gear shifter, but I also have a Piaggio MP3 scooter with CVT belt drive no-shift transmission..... hard to really call it a transmission, as it is two centrifugal pulleys that get bigger or smaller depending on speed.

I love that thing, just twist the throttle and go and forget about having to shift gears..... so, I feel that you will enjoy the DCT tremendously.... just twist the throttle and go.... reports are that it is always in the right "gear" and that you can't feel it shift up or down.

The DCT has Finger Shift Mode if you have a need to hold it into a lower gear while drifting down a long mountain road and want to stay off the brakes.... but, there again, I am told that even in normal mode, the DCT seems to sense that it needs a lower gear for going downhill.

Enjoy your search for the "right bike", and welcome ot our family of friends.

Forgot to ask, where in Texas are you? You talked about Grapevine, so you are kinda near the DFW area?
Thanks and I'm tending to agree regarding the DCT trans. That's why I'm saying it will be a must for me. After watching this YouTube video of a Gold Wing demo and ride at the DFW Honda dealership it is kind of what sold me on the DCT. It is on a 2019 but it the one that would come on my 2021.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I really like that Air Ride with the Controls up front like that.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
For sure.
Jake,
where abouts in Texas are you? Texas is the size of 5 foreign countries, used to live in the Dumas/Borger area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

No I'm nearer Houston. Up Hwy 59 / I-69 about 45 miles to a small countryside community called Splendora which is about 7 miles South of Cleveland Texas. I have a few acres there. It's only about 3k population which is okay but it is starting to grow so I'm looking to move up to the Lake Livingston area around Point Blank on the West side of the lake on the Northern upper section down from Trinity. Ready for some fishing.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I like the smaller communities, Oologah is about 1200+ and growing like weeds.

I just looked at Point Blank on the map, and that looks like a great place to settle into.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the smaller communities, Oologah is about 1200+ and growing like weeds.

I just looked at Point Blank on the map, and that looks like a great place to settle into.
I like using Google Earth when looking the property. So much detail can be looked at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have talked with both DFW In Grapevine TX and also with Honda of Russellville today. The salesman at DFW worked awfully hard to steer me away from a new 2021 GW Bike with the CSC trike kit which is what I have my heart set on. He tried to convince me to buy from his inventory a 2018 or even a 2019 for two grand more and for less money than a 2021 he says. I'm thinking well du'oh. He just couldn't seem to understand why I'd be willing to give $10g more for a 2021 with a CSC trike kit when I'd be just as happy with one of his 2018 models which he said he had about 15+ of in inventory all with the Motortrike trike kit installed instead of the CSC which he would have to special order. Well after getting off the phone with him I immediately went to check out Honda of Russellville and called and talked with a salesman there. Completely different story.

We saw eye to eye on what I was looking for and is willing to sell me what I want to buy and not what he wants to sell me. The only thing is that business has been so good their inventory is down today and will be for the two to three weeks. That works for me as I'm not ready to go get it just yet. Will be by the time they get some more inventory in. Good. But it is double the distance from me to drive. 225 miles v/s 458 miles. 😎 Feeling pretty good about Russellville so far. But will keep looking.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I would go for the Air Ride, not the Motor Trike with solid springs.
Get what you want.

I bought from Honda of Russellville, Arkansas because they listened to me, and did NOT pressure me to buy "something esle".

I went to Shawnee, OK and looked at their inventory, they have a sister store in Arkansas ( Searcy? ) and have been there, and the one in Siloam springs.

Honda of Russellville got my vote for being "the most honest" and listening to you.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
If you buy from Honda of Russellville, I just might have to make a special trip over there and enjoy the World's Best Hamburger with you....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would go for the Air Ride, not the Motor Trike with solid springs.
Get what you want.

I bought from Honda of Russellville, Arkansas because they listened to me, and did NOT pressure me to buy "something esle".

I went to Shawnee, OK and looked at their inventory, they have a sister store in Arkansas ( Searcy? ) and have been there, and the one in Siloam springs.

Honda of Russellville got my vote for being "the most honest" and listening to you.
It is shaping up to be my choice as well. The DFW sales manager called me later trying to smooth things over with me. No sale. We talked for awhile. A female sales manager mind you. She apologized for the somewhat rude like behavior of her salesman blaming it on him being in Texas fresh from upper state New York and not understanding Texans. Hmmm, okay maybe so but still no sale.

She finally admitted that they have never installed a CSC kit ever before on any bike and that they had a special relationship with Motortrike and that's all they sell and had no plans to in the near future to ever sell CSC. Okay. No problem but I wish the male salesman had been up front with me I told her. Then she tried to imply that I probably would not be happy in the end dealing with Russellville. That's pretty low IMO. In any event they are no longer on my list for consideration at this point. Beware when dealing with DFW is all I can say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you buy from Honda of Russellville, I just might have to make a special trip over there and enjoy the World's Best Hamburger with you....
Tell me more. While staying there I'll need some good food. I'll be staying overnight in a hotel as nearly 8 hours of driving each way will be a bit much for myself and my sister and her hubby who is not in very good health himself with a weak ticker and we all are hovering at or near 70. Bro-n-law and I are 70 and sister is 67. I'm taking her along as she was a legal secretary for a large well known NASA gov contractor for many years and knows as much about the law as any para-legal and she is also a successful realtor. Bro-n-law has a current motorcycle license and he will test drive the bike for me as he owned a GW for quite a number of years before his last heart attack when he retired a few years back and sold his bike due to the stress of riding it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Okay,
here is where we go to eat, Colton's Steak House & Grill
Fantastic hamburger, or like I did the last time we went, I ordered up the Bourbon Glazed Salmon.

oh my!!! was that ever good.

As far as Hotels, all of the chains are there.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I just sent you a PM,
look up on the Top Right corner of the page, above your Avatar.
there will be a RED DOT there, when that is present, someone has sent you a PM.

click on the Avatar and select CONVERSATIONS, pisser of a name for PMs, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay,
here is where we go to eat, Colton's Steak House & Grill
Fantastic hamburger, or like I did the last time we went, I ordered up the Bourbon Glazed Salmon.

oh my!!! was that ever good.

View attachment 324685

As far as Hotels, all of the chains are there.
Good thanks. Do you know if they have a Fairfield Inn hotel. I tend to favor that chain when I'm out on the road. I'm a non-smoker and their rooms are smoke free. Don't care for the foul smelling cigarette odors left over in the carpets. Am a former smoker. Quit 22 years ago after smoking for 32+ years but now can't stand the smell anymore.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Walking distance from Colton's Steak House

Address: 120 E Harrell Dr, Russellville, AR 72802

Phone: (479) 967-9030

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi Jake,
I have a GW/Motor Trike conversion and like it just fine. If I had the money I would own a new DCT/CSC conversion in a heart beat. I live in Gun Barrel City on Cedar Creek Reservoir between Dallas and Tyler.

For more trike opinions check out the Trike Talk forum (Trike Talk Forum & News) run by Randy (Cut'n'Shoot Customs, 1414 South Frazier St - Broadway Park Complex - Suite 110 - Conroe, Texas - Phone / Text: 346-800-79460) who is one of the most knowledgeable Trike builders in Texas as well as being a great all around guy. There is a forum section devoted to CSC riders as well as all the major conversions.

I 've lived all over your neck of the woods from Onalaska to Galveston Bay. I actually taught school right down the road in New Caney in the very early 70's

Welcome to a great forum, and when you get your ride there are more than a few people close by to ride with and learn the "Trike Way" (LOL)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hi Jake,
I have a GW/Motor Trike conversion and like it just fine. If I had the money I would own a new DCT/CSC conversion in a heart beat. I live in Gun Barrel City on Cedar Creek Reservoir between Dallas and Tyler.

For more trike opinions check out the Trike Talk forum (Trike Talk Forum & News) run by Randy (Cut'n'Shoot Customs, 1414 South Frazier St - Broadway Park Complex - Suite 110 - Conroe, Texas - Phone / Text: 346-800-79460) who is one of the most knowledgeable Trike builders in Texas as well as being a great all around guy. There is a forum section devoted to CSC riders as well as all the major conversions.

I 've lived all over your neck of the woods from Onalaska to Galveston Bay. I actually taught school right down the road in New Caney in the very early 70's

Welcome to a great forum, and when you get your ride there are more than a few people close by to ride with and learn the "Trike Way" (LOL)
Thanks for info. I'm quite familiar with Cut 'n' Shoot and the area around it and greater Conroe. I'll make it a point to drop in on them as they are just down the road so to speak, 15-18 miles or so. Yes, the CSC is my choice of the conversion choices I'm favoring and that's what I'm aiming for and I realize that it is quite costly, the CSC but I can handle the price tag I believe (hope so anyway). And the DCT in the bike is a must for me as well along with a few other options.. It's what I've been working towards for. My bank has assured me they'll finance me up to $50k or maybe even a little more if necessary so I should be set on that end.

But it looks like it might be a few more weeks before the 2021 GW is available and then it may take up to another 2-3 weeks after that for the buildout. But I'm hoping Russellville Honda will have one in stock sooner. The salesman I spoke with said it's a possibility. Doesn't matter as that's the build I want. And I want it in Honda Candy Apple Red too.

I'm really looking forward to getting it and getting on the road as I want to spend about two weeks or so touring Texas again. I know that this endeavor will take more than just two weeks to accomplish but I'm still young at 70 and Texas is a rather sizeable state in land mass and tourist traps. Have seen much of it already due to business travels over past years but never for leisure. Now's the time for that. I'd definitely like to Meet-Up with other riders in my area for sure. I want to hit the Hill Country again up around the Canyon Lake part and Lake Travis and some of the other scenic routes. Hoo-boy can hardly wait.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about my pending purchase as time marches on towards that date as I've never owned a Gold Wing before and the CSC kit will be the icing on top for me. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts