Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a new Dunlop 404 installed on the front. Mechanic said to take it easy on the curves for 25 miles or so. I heard from others everywhere from 100 miles, to "I can't tell the difference". And what does 'take it easy' mean, anyway?

Anyone out there tell me what the first 25 miles does to the tire, and if 25 miles is enough before I go back to my bad-boy GW driving?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I would take it to mean give the tire a chance to seat to the rim. I've never really been too concerned about that, but what's 25 miles anyway?? Keep it at a decent speed for a day or so if that's what they recommend.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

At the Dunlop site they recommend riding conservatively for around 100 miles or so to wear off anymolding release coatings on the rubber.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I agree. I worked 22+ years in tire assembly at a General Tire Plant. We did not make m/c tires but every square inch of the tires we made were sprayed with a mold release spray and this stuff is slick. You can go down with a new front or rear tire if you don't drive carefully during that first 100 miles.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Just like "Nascar" or "Indycars" on TV when they get new rubber put on they zig zag the car to scrub the tires in so they're not so slick, same on a bike but instead of "Zig Zagging" you just ride with "Caution" the first 100 miles untill you "scrub" them in!

I even rough mine up with light sand paper when they're brand new !

And be careful about putting stuff on them to shine them up, can send you flying !

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Just like "Nascar" or "Indycars" on TV when they get new rubber put on they zig zag the car to scrub the tires in so they're not so slick, same on a bike but instead of "Zig Zagging" you just ride with "Caution" the first 100 miles untill you "scrub" them in!

I even rough mine up with light sand paper when they're brand new !

And be careful about putting stuff on them to shine them up, can send you flying !
geeeeze... and I always liked that slick as baby poop feeling that tyre blackener gives the ride

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
I agree. I worked 22+ years in tire assembly at a General Tire Plant. We did not make m/c tires but every square inch of the tires we made were sprayed with a mold release spray and this stuff is slick. You can go down with a new front or rear tire if you don't drive carefully during that first 100 miles.:goofygrin:
Dean is the voice of wisdom on this. I've heard this from tyre reps many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.