Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got my new side covers from wingstuff and they fit and look great. I have to admit the covers look really big with just the chrome. I'll fix that later with the emblems. I also secured them with stainless tie straps just in case they decide to fly away. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the flying cover syndrome is very common on the wings. I'll send pics as soon as my camera cord shows up....kids had it last.:?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I have been sporting those for about a year now and I've really come to like them. I added the OEM Goldwing text emblems and some aftermarket lighted Condors as well as chrome plated LED modules at the top front and rear of each cover. The modules each have 5 red LEDs aimed at different angles and they make the covers glow quite nicely at night. I would be glad to post a photo but I don't know how. If someone could instruct me I will do it.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Nice lookin Wing! Let me know where you bought the emblems. I just turned 70k on my 88 GL. I just bought it and still learning lots! The only thing that annoys me so far is the hesitation then surge in first and second gear. It's a known problem with the 88's and 89's. Hard to believe the first owner didn't take care of this when new. I would not have accepted that on a new Wing!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul,
I've been away for a little while. The Goldwing text emblems are OEM Honda and I ordered them from Cyclemaxohio.com. Visit their site and search the OEM fische diagrams for the 1500 side panels. The eagles are also available there. If you would like the lighted version of the eagles, they are available at davescyclesupply.com.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I put the chrome side covers on last year and not very happy with them. The bike looks great, but they scuff easy and the "chrome" begins to bubble. To top that, I had a mounting stud break off, while riding, and had to glue it back together. There's a reason they're fairly cheaper than OEM.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Hey Mike,
I also had a stud break off and the panel actually popped off the bike. Since I have the LEDs and lighted condors there is a piece of coiled power cord connecting it to the bike so it simply got dragged (chrome side down naturally)until I could get stopped. I was impressed at how little damage there was to the chrome finish. Just some minor scratches and I was able to buff most of that out. You are abbsolutely right about the quality of these compared to the OEMs but I really do like the look of these things so I will probably just stick with them for a while. Just out of curiousity, which stud broke for you? Mine was the lower rear stud on the right (battery) side cover.

Mike

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the info you two...I noticed the plastic covers were a harder plastic and possibly more brittle. I'll do some mods and put some clear rap and some heat shielding or possibly some JB weld to reinforce the studs.

You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I just lost my left chrome side cover for the 3rd time and there will NOT be a fourth. Lower right stud broke and after three attempts to fix, wouldn't hold anymore. Usually I would feel it fall against my leg and be able to catch it. This time, I guess I was flying to low and it went sailing into the sunset. I found it, well a piece of it and I couldn't care less. They are not worth my time anymore. I should begin to deal with other things in my life that way.

Glad I kept the originals for a backup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.