Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 86 sei smoked like a chimmey @ all times. Replacing the valve stem seals cured the problem but it took 2 to make 2 that would work, by having the same length arm instead of the 1/2" offset as these are sold new. $20 plus exact shipping. Gwrra 353

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

can you show a pic as it would be used ?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

i have found that if you take a piece of 1 inch sguare tubing and drill 2 holes that will line up to your bolt hole of you rocker arm mounts you have a valve spring compressor. you need a large size open end wrench,7/8 will do.you just slip wrench under the tubing and pull up to compress springs.i use a magnet tool to pick up the keeps. reverse this plus i use a small socket to press keepers in place as i pull up compression the springs. i saw this tool on our tech site. home made ,but works like a charm.one more thing,i made a small wood clamp that i fasting each head down so it wouldn't move when i pulled up on wrench. hoghideman

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Not the best picture but it works. Harbor freight sells them for $16+. I bought mine at napa for $19. Ian posted better pics' on the NGW boards. Gwrra 353

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

thanks for the pic. wondering what you used to keep the valves in place ? small rope or air ?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bringing each piston to top dead center is the way to go. That gives the valves only 1/4" before they hit the piston after spring removal.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i have always replaced them with the heads off. have not tried it with the heads still on the engine. that's why i was wondering about that.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

That would be a nice item for the tool loaner program.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

For those who are wondering, u can keep the valves closed by using compressed air. U take a hose from a compression guage set, remove the schrader valve, then screw it into the spark plug port. Then apply compressed air (a minimum of 100 psi is recommended but 90 will work if u are very careful). The compressed air will hold the valves closed (Note, this is with the rocker arms removed so that both valve springs close the valves). Once u remove the spring, u replace the seal...then reinstall the spring and the keepers, then remove the air from the hose. Do the other cylinder, then re-install the rocker arms and adjust the valves as necessary. Go to the other side, repeat the proceedure! It isn't necessary to remove the valves or the heads from the bike to do this. Only the timing belts and the rocker arms. I would recommend of course being very careful resetting the belts....and for those of you who will ask, when u remove the rockers, all the valves on that head will close, eliminating the possibility of bent valves. That danger comes back when u are resetting the belts. So use extreme caution....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.