Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'78 GL1000 semi-basket case. PO had removed carbs and taken tops and float bowls off - no match marking. Needs a few ebayable things like headlight ears (anyone need a Vetter with pretty good windscreen and Bates saddlebags?) Of course, the wiring is hacked and most connectors crumbling. And of course, it needs a decent seat - thinking of a cafe style. This should keep me out of trouble for a while! All expected and surmountable problems so far. Patience and careful work.

So, here is the first big problem: the PO removed the fuel tank, cleaned with electrolosis, then coated it with a coating they use inside aircraft tanks. Nice and white inside - including the intake screens! I see about three openings between wires in each screen.

My question for the assembled expertise (and good guessers) - do you think I can take some sharped coat hanger wires and poke out the coating from between the wires enough for proper fuel flow? I realize that this would require follow-up with flushing and an extra filter for some time.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2
 

·
killer driller
Joined
·
781 Posts
do you mean a 78 gl1000,not that it matters,but i dont see what it would hurt as long as you put an inline filter in
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
I would get another tank, before I trusted someone else's tank liner.
When tanks are lined, the screens are removed. Since they didn't know that, I'm not sure they knew how to prep, apply, or cure the tank.
You may end up with the liner finding its way to the fuel filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried the pointed clothes hanger to no avail. Coating too hard to penetrate. Next idea is to remove and invert the tank and then insert a small container of solvent to soften or perhaps remove the coating. That failing, I'll cut off the screens and see if I can mount some from a fuel pump kit.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: was able to remove the liner from the screens with acetone in a pill bottle on a coat hanger holder with the tank inverted. I had a small USB video camera with onboard LED lighting that I put in through the fill spout to monitor placement and removal as well as inspection of the final result. After clearing the screens the reserve was found damaged so it was removed and then a couple hands full of pea gravel and a quart of water roughly shaken to see if anything came loose. The coating survived that, so it was then washed with dish soap and thoroughly rinsed and dried. I may still do one more rinse and dry plus denatured alcohol rinse before mounting a pickup sock over the reserve pipe, the rebuilt petcock and adding fuel. I plan to let fuel set in it for a week or so while the carbs are rebuilt and engine checked out, then agitate and drain the fuel and check for contamination. I will be using straight gasoline with no ethanol for his test.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30 Posts
Get yourself a Saddleman H148 Seat and Randakk's Carb Rebuild Video and you'll be good to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have no desire for a double-bucket seat as this is to be a cafe-style when finally finished (years from now). I have a nice stock seat for it that will do Okay, but desire is for a custom cafe-style some day. I already have #1 carb rebuilt, but it took all day yesterday, mainly for cleaning. There were mud dauber nests packed into the sides of them, and the rubber parts had to be busted out (brittle), which is hard to do without scratching the o-ring grooves. The tubes were very hard to get out, even after soaking in penetrating oil. I had to drift out the secondary tube (luckily had a drift with JUST the right size to fit inside). The main split any wood that I tried, so I ended up with PVC to get it started. The area around the emulsion tubes was packed with crap. None of the jets or needles are stock, and both of the 2 float seats that I have had out were without the inlet screens. What a mess! The tops and bottoms were already off and of course - unmarked, so I have been carefully checking for interference and matching them up.

Oh well, I bought this as a "project" to get me back out of the den when not riding. A pro (or anyone worried about time invested) would have already been parting it out. The wife seems happy to have me working on it.

No work on it for the next month's weekends as I need to cover the route for a ride that I will be leading out of Bryson City on the 20th for the Smoky Mountain Ride-In. http://www.smokymountainridein.com/ At least I have the 1800 for riding!:p

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,695 Posts
Unlocked Thread per request of pidjones,


he needs to finish it up, do NOT lock again. I unlocked it yesterday...


Thanks
John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Working on an update and including a link to the new thread that I started last year for her. And, if you go to WingDing, look for the Hunley in Pistol Pete's booth!
 
  • Like
Reactions: JamesPal
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top