Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

thanks to all that gave advice on my other thread, very helpful. well i passed on the 83 rattle trapp that i was so hot on, even after getting a parts bike and learning what was creating the very strange (and scary) noises.Not that i was afraid of it, I just wanted something a little more old school, (no digi dash). I decided to drive 500 miles from memphis to bristol tn. to look at a 78 one owner, 34000 miles, never painted, never hacked on, garaged kept, well perserved wing. plus it was black, w/gold pin stripping. turned out to be all i wanted and more, super clean and sharp, maintained by a 70 year old golddwing fanatic, (he just bought a new one and triked it out in his garage) it was just what i wanted so i paid the man and took turns with my brother riding the 500 miles home. It ran like a champ, never missied a beat.again, thanks for all your help, if i knew how to post pics i would, Don.

·
Premium Member
12,802 Posts
imported post

Hey Don thats nice to see you found the Wing you wanted . There are so many for sale its not needed to take the first one that comes along . I think you have come upon a nice bike . :action:Ride often and visit with us between rides .

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

Adding pic is simple. Hit the browse button. If that's your new ride in the profile, it looks great.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

yep, thats it dennis, going thru all the service records, just 4000 mile ago, new fork seals,new tires, rear diff service, valve adj. oil and filter change. It still has the original belts, i havent insp. them yet, bike now has 35 thou. on it, should i go ahead and change them, im sure they are a little dry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Outstanding shape! Good for you brother! May she carry you eveywhere you want to go!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
12,802 Posts
imported post

scott gilbert wrote:
..... It still has the original belts, i havent insp. them yet, bike now has 35 thou. on it, should i go ahead and change them, im sure they are a little dry.
YES since theyare likely over 30 yrs old I would recommend spending a half day swap the belts out . Gates T274

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

scott gilbert wrote:
It still has the original belts, i havent insp. them yet, bike now has 35 thou. on it, should i go ahead and change them, im sure they are a little dry.
Check the age of the tires too. Just because they have tread doesn't mean they're safe.

Once you've checked it over...RIDE. If you don't, I'll be forced to come over and ride it for you. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

Good looking ride and Welcome from another Tennessee winger.

Reactions: scott gilbert

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Wow. That looks fantastic !! I hope you got a great deal.

Definitely change the belts. Cheap insurance against some expensive, preventable damage to that beauty.

Enjoy that machine - I know I would !! :)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

As the former owner of an 81 GL1100, I can attest that you will love it.

They are a blast to ride...enjoy

And welcome from Ohio.....

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

pulled of the fairing and covers to give a good cleaning. this thing is in fantastic shape, the only thing broken was the rubber strap under the rt side cover that hold the flasher relay. the bolts arnt even rusty. turns out it was worth the drive, this thing is like a brand new 78 bike. i would like to replace this dash piecee, the lettrs are faded.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

pulled of the fairing and covers to give a good cleaning. this thing is in fantastic shape, the only thing broken was the rubber strap under the rt side cover that hold the flasher relay. the bolts arnt even rusty. turns out it was worth the drive, this thing is like a brand new 78 bike. i would like to replace this dash piecee, the lettrs are faded.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Nice garage-mate the 'Wing has there, Mate. :)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

scott gilbert wrote:
.....this thing is like a brand new 78 bike. i would like to replace this dash piecee, the lettrs are faded.
Congratulations... and I must say, when the biggest worry is some faded lettering, you're in:clapper: great shape...

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you got a 'new' '78!!

It is only just broken in!!

I would suggest new belts are cheap insurance. I buy mine from Rock Auto. Cheapest I have found on the 'net.

Best of luck with her. May you enjoy many miles together!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.