Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I am a new owner of a classic 1982 GL 1100 that a very good friend "donated" to me when he got himself a new 2009 GL 1800. I have enjoyed it much and ride it every day, though only short distances. About 2 weeks ago I noticed after each ride I began to smell like gas. I found there is a leak but not being a mechanic, I am uncertain of which part it is to call it by name. Sitting on the bike, it is on my right-hand side, just about parallel straight down from my right knee. The part has 2 hoses going into it and the metal piece they go into has two arrows indicating flow, one arrow pointing towards the bike, one away from it. There is a very small hole underneath this part and the hole does not look to be threaded so it does not appear that some plug or anything was previously there and fell out. I am suspecting this may well be the carburetor and that possibly the small hole underneath is something to do with the float that may be stuck and allowing gas to come out when the engine is on. It has a slow but steady drip when running, which becomes a more prevalent drip and sometimes light spray when throttled. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but have never worked on a bike engine prior. Please, any advice you can give me would be most helpful and totally appreciated. I can't let my friend's gift go for naught, so I am willing to study hard and learn all I need to know to maintain this classic. Thanks for your help in advance.

Dave

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum...

Hopefully a mod will move this to the tech forum..

nanadan7 wrote:
Hi all,

... Sitting on the bike, it is on my right-hand side, just about parallel straight down from my right knee. The part has 2 hoses going into it and the metal piece they go into has two arrows indicating flow, one arrow pointing towards the bike, one away from it. There is a very small hole underneath this part and the hole does not look to be threaded so it does not appear that some plug or anything was previously there and fell out.....
Dave

I suspect what you describe is a fuel pump leaking..

After it has been moved to the tech forum, you should get more responses.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome nanadan7[/align]

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Welcome to the forum...

Hopefully a mod will move this to the tech forum..

nanadan7 wrote:
Hi all,

... Sitting on the bike, it is on my right-hand side, just about parallel straight down from my right knee. The part has 2 hoses going into it and the metal piece they go into has two arrows indicating flow, one arrow pointing towards the bike, one away from it. There is a very small hole underneath this part and the hole does not look to be threaded so it does not appear that some plug or anything was previously there and fell out.....
Dave

I suspect what you describe is a fuel pump leaking..

After it has been moved to the tech forum, you should get more responses.

yep-- i concur with sandiegobrass . fuel pump diaphragm has a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks very much for the info. I am trying to become more mechanically inclined so that I might be able to maintain this gift on my own. In the event that I can not figure out how to do so on my own, how might I move this inquiry to the Tech Forum (please)? Thanks again!

Charles

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Guys, thank you all so much. I feel informed enough now to start doing my homework and find out what I must to rectify the issue. Btw,.....Cromag, nice lookin' pup! Thanks again to all!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

You have a defective fuel pump. It is not repairable as sets,so start looking for a replacement. You can use an electric pump just to get it on the road,but try to replace asap. You are sitting on a torch by nature of the leak being close to exhaust system so please do not ride until you fix.
Welcome to the forum!:congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

that depends where it is leaking. If leaking from top an o ring will fix that. done it myself. Also just because diaphragm is leaking out the side of pump does not mean its bad. take all the screws out to separate the two halves. take a little grease and put a thin layer on the top and carefully on bottom just by slightly lifting. This will lube the rubber and helped it seal. Mine was leaking from both places and new o ring fixed top and grease fixed the diaphragm.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Also make sure you hoses are tight. fuel running down the side can make it look like the pump is leaking. Dont ride at all if leaking. Guy on this forum lost a bike not to long ago because of this reason.. his bike caught fire, burnt to the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can still buy new pumps around $75, or used ones on eBay from $10 to $35 usually. Gl 1100 pumps can be rebuilt but they are not meant to be. Look in the how to section about the process. I have several used pumps that are in good working order.$25 plus shipping or I can sell you a new Viton diaphragm for a rebuild..for $10.

The issue with use pumps even good ones is that they are old. They may last for years or crap out on a month or two.

Picture of one I rebuilt.

Here's a link on how to.. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12530

Attachments

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
Also make sure you hoses are tight. fuel running down the side can make it look like the pump is leaking. Dont ride at all if leaking. Guy on this forum lost a bike not to long ago because of this reason.. his bike caught fire, burnt to the ground.
Please take this advise. I am "that guy", and here is what can happen. And I did not even think I had a leak. Seems I must have pinched the rubber hose to the pump.
It will be easy to buy one of RB's pumps and install yourself then you can be riding again soon. If you do start the bike in this condition, have a fire extinguisher that will put out gas on hand.

BTW, thanks to this forum I am riding an 1100 now, as seen in my Avatar.
Patrick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. It looks as if you have gotten your answer so I'll just second the "Don't ride without fixing it".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.