Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all im new to this site and have just recently bought my first bike its a gl1100 standard and when i bought it the buy said the speedometer didnt work and he was told the drive gear was messed up and he gave me the part he had bought to fix it but never got around to it my question is if i put a picture up could anyone tell me if it is the correct part? ive done some research but still havent been able to tell sorry for such a long post and thank you for any help its appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

No picture but the parts may well be the metal tang part inside the drive.

Goes wrong every so often.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Have not had to tinker with that end of the speedo, my cable at the speedo was the problem. Wouldn't hurt to post a pic or two. I was wrong I have been there.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on the new bike. I am rapidly beginning to believe the 1100 may be the best Goldwing ever made. As for the part, you will need to remove the front wheel (put the bike on the centerstand, and put something under the engine to support it with the front wheel off the ground) the part you are looking for will be on the left side of the wheel, with the speedometer cable on it. It just pulls out once the wheel is off, and may even fall out when you remove the wheel. Look it over and compare it to the new part you now have.

Another way to check and see if this part is even bad is to remove the speedometer cable from the speedometer, then turn the front wheel. If the cable turns, then that part is not the problem. If it doesn't, grab the end of the cable sticking out of the housing on the speedometer end ans pull it out. If it is not broken, and the whole thing comes out, then that gear is the problem. When installing the new one, be aware that the housing on the gear has a notch that fits over a tab on the left fork to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

If its an 83 the drive gear in the wheel housing will be plastic and yes they wear out as mine did when i got it

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks again on all the great information it helps alot ive never been mechanically inclined cause my ford taurus i had before this was hell to work on but im looking forward to learning how to work on my bike thanks again everyone

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The speedometer on my LTD also quit working, and while it has an electronic sensor with a wire instead of a cable, it still has the plastic gear. I have not yet had the wheel off to find out if that is it. If it is, a new one costs about $65. If the gear is ok, I won't go any further, and dig into the electronics, they are not my thing. I'll just use a handlebar mounted cheap Garmin eTrex GPS that I bought for a quad I no longer have.

You have a great bike to learn to work on. A GL1100 is very basic compared to the 1200LTD, which is fuel injected and loaded with electronics, with sensors everywhere. The electronics are fairly simple compared to what is being made today, they can all be checked with an LED code readout on the ECM, and checked with a multimeter. But being electronic rather than mechanical makes them more prone to failure, new parts are non existent, and most used electronic parts are no longer any good.

The 1100 is a good old fashioned motorcycle, well designed and well built, before Honda went crazy with the electronics. Like any old Japanese bike, you will have to hunt for some parts, but they should be easier to find. Owning it, working on it, and riding it should be a lot more satisfying than the bowl of electronic soup I have.

Oh, and don't compare the 1100 Goldwing to a Ford Taurus, or any other late model car. I can't work on those, and would never even attempt to. The newest car I have ever owned was a 1977, most were/are much older.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

To CK,

(1) Welcome to the site.

(2) Do anything/everything possible (including asking questions on this site) that you can do on your own with the bike. I, too, am a first time 1100 owner (83 Interstate). Bought it last year and wasn't able to begin riding it until the end of April of this year, but I've already logged over 4,000 miles! I am also not very mechanically knowledgeable, but with the help of some manuals and posts here on this site, I've managed to work on some minor issues on my own...There are plenty of people on here that will give very good advice (including links to "how to" pages that give explicit step-by-step instructions which often include pictures).

Doing the work yourself will not only give you knowledge and understanding of your particular ride, but a pretty good feeling of wanting to pat yourself on the back...

Rick K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.