Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting in new fork seals, dust boots and progressive springs and after just a few miles both sides had drops of oil on the back sides of the dust boots. I filled the tubes with w15
oil to the recommended 5.5 inches down from the top, spring out, fully compressed which came out to be 15oz per side. does that see like a lot? I saw some where that volume was around 11.6 oz. The ride felt good I imagine if it was overfilled it would be pretty rigid. The OEM seals were installed with the chamfered edge down/ spring down and all bushings looked really good.
Any ideas before I do it all again?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Did you check to see if there where any nicks in the fork tubes??

Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I just finished putting in new fork seals, dust boots and progressive springs and after just a few miles both sides had drops of oil on the back sides of the dust boots. I filled the tubes with w15
oil to the recommended 5.5 inches down from the top, spring out, fully compressed which came out to be 15oz per side. does that see like a lot? I saw some where that volume was around 11.6 oz. The ride felt good I imagine if it was overfilled it would be pretty rigid. The OEM seals were installed with the chamfered edge down/ spring down and all bushings looked really good.
Any ideas before I do it all again?
I think you MAY have misunderstood the instructions.
5.5 inches is the maximum level if the manufacturer fills by height because of the spring design. If you have a measured amount specified by the manufacturer, you're suppose to use that. You'll notice in the instructions, there is an "operating range" for oil height.
If I understand the instructions correctly (that's not a given), you've severely overfilled the tubes.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Well Ill be following this thread for sure. I just did the same with the 5.5" measurement and progressives. I havent ridden mine yet as im finishing up the front end new2u kit. I wouldnt think theyd be severely overfilled if thats the maximum amount. I thought i read several threads and seem to remember others saying to use that method. Unfortunately, when I filled my first fork i forgot to put the drain screw in and I lost quite a bit trying to locate my drain screw lol so i dont know how many ounces i used. Well, hopefully for our sakes, we wont be doing this again so soon
For a reference, I did use Honda seals and put in new bushings.

Oh, must have been asleep when I read this thread originally. Mine is an 1100. I have put only about 20 miles in it and si far ni leaks. I understand those instructions better now.Ill keep an eye on mine and see how it dors at the 5.5" maximum level.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Check with your local bearing dealer, and see if they can get seals thru Chicago Rawhide. (CR) They make a seal that fits the 86 interstate.

I've messed around with different weight oils in mine. The best, for a decent ride, has been dextron-mercon ATF.

·
Administrator
22,398 Posts
Last time I used OEM seals. Two of us doing the job and we put the seals in as shown on the package. They went in too easily, we thought, so we re-checked the instructions on the pack and we had done them right.
Long story short, the instructions on the pack were wrong. The forks leaked like crazy. I was on a trip, so I had them done at an independant shop and the tech confirmed the seals were in backwards.
The aftermarket seals he installed are still in the bike.

However, this is in no way a suggestion to use aftermarket stuff. Next time, I will do OEM.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Yes the seals have a top and bottom. They must be installed the right way up.
And yes you overfilled the fluid. Common mistake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, So the tubes are clean and smooth, the OEM package had no instructions. There seems to be some mixed info. about which side is up on the seals so I read some threads before putting them in and someone said spring down or else they leak and with the chamfered edge it seems obvious that it would go in first. Can anyone verify which way for sure these go in?
Denis do you recall which way you put yours in, the ones that leaked?
If mine are in upside down can I reuse them?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If I remember right, there is suppose to be writing or a mark/indicator on the seal face. It's suppose to be installed facing up.

·
Administrator
22,398 Posts
Denis do you recall which way you put yours in, the ones that leaked?
If mine are in upside down can I reuse them?
Unfortunately, no I don't remember which side is up on them. What GL says is probably right, though.
If you have the time, you could try turning them over and see if it stops the leak. As long as you haven't disfigured them I don't see why that wouldn't work.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Generally a seal is installed with the spring side facing pressure which would be downward in a Goldwing fork and the tiny diagram in the Honda manual would seem to support this.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.