Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It has been awhile since I posted since I finally got the bike running, but ran into a long lost problem...The bike has been up on the center stand because the front fork seals are leaking AGAIN! The history is that the fork seals were changed by my father and ended up leaking fairly quickly after install. (This was years and years ago). He took the forks to a former Honda mechanic and he changed the seals for him again. Then my dad gave me the bike since he could not ride anymore and when he gave me the bike, the forks were leaking again. I took them back to the guy that last fixed them and he replaced the seals again. Then the bike sat for about 5 years because I didn’t have the money to get the rest of the stuff fixed up on in. Over this past winter, I fixed everything that I knew needed attention, including bringing the forks to another Honda dealer and having the seals inspected and replaced. They felt everything was fine with the forks and went forward with replacing the seals. Well 600 miles later, the right seal leaks out most of its fluid on the garage floor. Sooooooooo, now the dealer feels I need new fork tubes. They were very surprised that the tubes leaked because they cannot see any significant contributors to the leaking. I went ahead and had them order the fork tubes and naturally they called back 2 days later and said the tubes are no longer available. I looked over e-bay and am worried about buying another 25-year-old part that I could end up with the same problem. Any suggestions? I did find one aftermarket dealer that has them listed and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them? Saber Cycle is the company. The part is http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product367.html I did a search here on the company and it looks like there is a huge amount of negative thoughts on the company. Your wisdom has guided me through this bike project so far, so why stop now. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Having dealt with Saber Cycle once, I wouldn't recommend then to my worst enemy.

Try www.hdlparts.com I've used them before and got parts that Honda says were discontinued.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

google forking by frank . i think they will have what you need.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Hey Fish,

Franks has a GREAT reputation, but they aren't cheap. Just be prepared for that.

Something doesn't quite add up tho. You say the fork oil leaked out onto your garage floor. Was it a large quantity of oil? Your forks should hold 8 or 9 ounces. If the full load of this oil leaked out while the bike was parked, then it isn't the seals that are leaking. At least not on your garage floor. More likely the drain plug or the allen bolt under the axle clamp. Or possibly a crack in the fork lower.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for the replies. I response to the fluid coming out...I did have fluid on the upper portion of the travel area of the forks, so to me that seams like the seals leaked. I did ride it one more day (100 miles) after I noticed they we leaking, then I parked the bike. Then the next morning I had a "wet" spot on the garage floor about 1 foot in diameter under the front tire. Do you still think the lowers my be cracked?

Thanks for the tip on Franks. I did give them a call and I ok with their price ($269 for the pair + Shipping). If he has a good reputation, sounds like that may be a good option

Thanks again!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
google forking by frank . i think they will have what you need.
Ditto.

I've had two sets of forks from Frank, fora rat Triumph and a XS1, both years ago.

Frank ain't around no more but his family still runs the operation.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Forking by Frank.... Good.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Hmm I guess a really bad seal leak could throw enough oil onto the fork upper that, once parked for a few days, could lead to a large stain like that.

Try this. Clean up the fork to ensure there isn't any oil on the outside. Spray the fork lower with Athlete's Foot Spray powder. Be sure to coat the drain plug and axle clamp too.Get theside closest to the wheel if you can manage. A little powder on the fork tube too.

Now grab a fist full of front brake and pump the forks. The white powder will turn color where ever oil leaks out.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Did the folks that replaced the seals use the Honda seals or after market seals? I've heard lots of problem with after market seals not lasting.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I cant say if honda was used in the first 3 changes, but I know for sure the fourth was honda seals.

I cant try the foot spray trick because the bike is back at the dealer, awaiting my decision on where to go from here.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If there is not oil on the upper tube and dirt seal it's not a leaking seal.

If the seal is leaking have the dealer pull the leaking seal and see if it was installed upside down. If your father followed a manual that showed the seals upside down and yes there's at least one that does the following installs may have copied the mistake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.