Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 1984 GL1200 with only 16000 miles on it. Runs great, however sometimes when the bike is off then turned on (not running) just on, one of three things happen. 1) It starts normal
2) The brake light waring light stays on which
leads to additional problems listed below
-Hard starts
-No tail running light.
- Brake light waring light stays on
3) No power to the dash and cant start.

*Note: The speakers chirp when ever it goes from off to on. Not sure if this is normal.

If 2 or 3 happens I turn the key back off then back to the on position until I get 1. I'm worried some day I'll be stuck with 3 and she'll leave me stranded somewhere. Any suggestions on what it could be or how it could be fixed? Like I said she only had 15000 miles and I want to keep her around for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's time to dig into the ignition switch, or at least give it a good cleaning with some WD or contact cleaner.

A 24 year old bike with that low milage is probably just corosion/gunk. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Replace the Fuseable link by the battery also just to eliminate strange power supplies being part of the problem.

Edited for my in ability to spell by correctly :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I had the same trouble with the taillites on my 85. Trace it to the ignition switch. Get the switch out and check for current to taillite circuit. The 1200's has a ignition switch issue.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Sawfish00...
the 84 GL1200 had a RECALL on the ignition switch and if it hasn't been done already is still a valid RECALL. Most shops don't know about this since their techs weren't born then but it's in the SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL and they can look it up.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

RE:ignition switch recall. That's interesting!

I didn't know about that recall, and I'm the original owner. Do we always have to have a problem before Honda (or any other manufacturer), tells us it needs fixing?

Does Honda replace or repair? Same key used after repair? Please tell us more...

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I talked to my dealer and he looked it up and the Vin # for my bike was excluded from the recall. Bummer...

What are the chances the bike will just not work all of the sudden?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.