Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought my first Honda. Its a 1984 gl1200ie. I think this bike has huge potential. Here are the things I have found so far after installing new plugs and battery to get it running. It's been sitting for four years. ! front seals are leaking badly. They have contaminated the front brakes. 2 engine still runs rough between 1000 and 2000 rpms. Above that it runs great! 3 Foot brake is soft with very little bite at all. 4 Front tire has some cracks but back tire is new. 5 Air filter and engine oil is very dirty. Looked in the gas tank and it is super clean! I am up for suggestions. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello and Welcome Catpower . The forks will need to come apart for repairs . Id suggest going to this link and purchase the factory service book : 1984-87 GL1200A/I Shop Manual - Helm Incorporated
I prefer OEM parts but you can source fork seals from quite a few places . Since it does run Id go ahead with an oil/filter change . I'd run a couple tanks mixed with SeaFoam to try and clear up the carb problems before tearing them down . SeaFoam from Wally world or auto parts store .
The rear brake might firm up if you bleed the system . This bike has a " Unified Brake System" . This means that the rear( foot ) brake also applies one front caliper . I think the left front on the 1200 series . So when bleeding be sure to also bleed the front one .

·
Registered
211 Posts
welcome. i agree on the belts. if you dont know how old they are, change them. while you're there reach in with your finger into the lower radiator housing and check for lateral movement on the waterpump shaft., movement = replacement. if it hasnt been done yet, modify the 3 yellow wire stator connector just to the front of the battery, you'll thank yourself later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....I ordered parts last night. I am excited to get them and tear into the bike. What do you guys suggest on sea foam? Can I put more in the tank than it says on the bottle or should I stick to what it says? Also would higher octane than 87 help or not? I have the clymer service manual on the way. I will check the stuff you guys recommended. Does anyone know where I can get some red or maroon factory touch up paint? I have a few scratches but not too bad.. Also any ideas on good handlebar grips? The ones on there are fat and slick. I don't like them.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
A new to me poorly running engine will always get a compression test FIRST before any other money is spent.:stumped:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I always check the charging and stator wires for shorting to ground when evaluating 1200's. Once in a while, it doesn't get disclosed from the PO, may not be immediately obvious on short test rides and may be the reason they're getting rid of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dudeboy, No way! Its not even on the radar!---Dizzy, I am working on the brakes and getting her serviced properly. I broke the final drive aluminum plug last night by turning her too tight. I will get to the stator wires eventually. What do I need to look for? I am kind of a junior mechanic who loves fixing stuff up but I don't have much experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.