Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put new belts on my wing and noticed a squeal at about 2000 rpm. So I thought I would replace the pulley's. did the conversion using the t42015 pulley. I still have a slight wine. I would guess that will go away as the belts wear in??????

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
A slight whine is pretty normal. If it is a louder singing sound the belts are probably too tight. Try loosening the adjuster a little. You should have about 1/2 inch of slack in the belt on the side away from the adjuster.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that much play in them. I may have 1/4 inch. I went out today for a short ride runs much better now that it's not sucking air through the AFV. Went I returned home I thought about the water pump. Pulled the lower cowl off, started the bike and the wine gets louder if I pull off the round cover for the crank pulley. !/2 inch???? wow that would make me worry about jumping timing......

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Great on the T42015 bearings... what fastener system did you use??

(1/4" is a bit on the tight side but I wouldn't don't bother to loosen.. they will work in.)

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a 3/8 grade 8 with a jam nut. I don't remember what type of bolt it was but I will post a pic of it. It is tapered and counter sinks into the back of the stock pulley bracket perfect. torque to 30 .lbs and bolt back on.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Looks like an excellent alternative!

You might consider adding you pic and fastener description to the DIY thread in the FAQ... I think it is a good alternative. I like the fact that it is self centering. Good idea for the jam nut too... Best would be LH threads, but those are harder to find in appropriate choices.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I loosened up the belts a little and the wine is gone. GOOD thing................. I DON'T DRINK!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put some more slack in the belts and the noise went away. I though Great. Short lived now after my first ride the noise comes and goes. Anyone now what type of noise a bad water pump makes on a 1500.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
I put some more slack in the belts and the noise went away. I though Great. Short lived now after my first ride the noise comes and goes.
The initial 1/4" slack was far too tight. If that damaged the bearings in the pulleys, slackening them off after that is too late.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't run it much at all after the new belts. The noise started with the new belts not the new pulley's.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I doubt that would be tight enough to damage the bearings. Especially with such a short amount of use. One thing about setting belt tension is that the engine with it's aluminum heads and block tends to expand in width as the engine heats up which will tighten the belts and get them to sing. There's little chance leaving a wee bit extra slack in the belts will cause problem, cog belts have to be awfully loose to jump a tooth. As long as they aren't slapping the case there shouldn't be any chance of getting out of time.
If there was much wrong with the water pump you'd likely see indications of oil in the radiator or expansion tank as well as moisture on the dipstick or fudgy looking oil.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The noise comes and goes as well. and at certain RPM it is louder. I'm wondering if the belts are walking some what and causing the noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.