Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello finally got my first goldwing!:cool: 1989 GL1500 mint cond ( owned by a dentist) 24K miles $4700.00 I have two questions

1. Makes a wierd noise between 2 & 3 K RPM , sounds like a rythmic pulseating vibrating sound when you romp on it. It is not a glunking or metalic sound. Wierd?

2. THe Wing had the t-belts "adjusted 1 year ago at 21K" should they still be replaced because of the age eaven with the low miles?

Thanks for any advise!!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Don't know about your noise but your timing belts are 19 years old. I would replace them....

And welcome to the forum...:waving:

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

A couple of things come to mind. Old timing belts, and alternator or alternator drive. Be careful, that 89 is a prime candidate for alternator brush sticking. Mine happend about that mileage and it left me on the side of the road. There is a link here about how to change the brushes. I'd highly recommend looking at it. It's cheap insurance and you can check the alternator bearings at the same time.

Timing belts are also cheap insurance too! I did have a slighly loose tensioner pully. Definately check those. Also:

All fluids - Brake, Clutch, Antifreeze and Oil

Tires? - It's probably only on it's second set. Check here for the tire date codes. (do a search) I know someone asked recently about how to read them.

Good Luck!

Daveo

Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Yes, could be the alternator rear bearing going out, or it could be the alt. drive isolator rubbers have hardened-that will make a rumble noise at about that RPM. And IF you have no proof of timing belt change--do it soon.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Had the same on mine- especially when the engine was cold and worse now the weather is colder. The Alternator drive rubbers had gone hard. They looked fine- but new ones completely fixed this noise. Easy repair too. Steve

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

That's ironic, Waldo found us, lol. Welcome to the forum...

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.