Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello All!

I just picked up a very nice '99 1500SE, and rode back home from Reno (35 miles). My other bike is a Kawi Concours, so that's kind of my point of comparison.

The 'wing is really heavy (about 200 more than the Connie) but not too bad, and I have afew questions:

1. Does the 'Wing normally sort of "hunt" on a straight, smooth road? I was really expecting more straight-line stability, but I was constantly having to make corrections to keep it straight.The tires are Metzler ME880's, 36 psi front & back, with 37 psi in the suspension.

2. The cruise control also seems to "hunt" a bit on straight, level road. Is this typical?

3. How in the world do I get this thing up on the center stand???

Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board. Can't answer your questions on the drift but the center stand question you will find a very useful video on this board about that. It's very easy once you learn the technique.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

Congrats...I also went from a connie to a wing...miss the zip but it's way more comfortable and not nearly as top heavy and actually the wing has better slow speed handling than the connie....it should run straight and true on the road....99% of the time it's the tires...could be front or rear.... steering head loose?....not sure on the cruise....able to get it up on the center stand without too much of an issue...stand up straight on the stand while pulling up and back on the handle....good luck...Mick

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hi NevadaDave,

The hunting while in cruise is likely a worn out speedo cable. I would replace that at less than $20 for the complete assembly.

Other hunting can be improved by adding a few treatments of SeaFoam to the gas and burning it through. Followed by having the carbs balanced. If it still hunts, you will likely have a vacuum leak someplace.

The center stand is a symphony of momentum and timing.

Hands on the side grip and the handlebar.
Swing the bike forward while using one foot to drag the center stand across the ground.
Then swing back, force the center stand down while you lean to the back and do a curl between the side grip and your foot on the center stand.

The motion and the coordinated jam/lift makes it easy.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

NevadaDave, I'm on my second 1500 and I did notice a few things. I should mention that both my bikes were identical , both 2000 Aspencades. My first 1500 held a very good line on the road but my second one seems to wander a lot more. I'm running Dunlops on present bike and I had Michelin Pilot GT's on the first one. I'm not sure if this is the difference or not. I do intend to check steering head bearings and wheel bearings during winter maintenance.

As for the cruise control. Both of my bikes hunted on straight level road. It is difficult to explain. You can't see it on the speedometer but you can feel it.

As for the center stand, Just like Rudy and Slickster say.

Hope this helps.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
imported post

I always run 40-41 front, 44 rear with 880's, checked at approx room temp. And minimum of 50 in rear shock, with the bike on centerstand. That'll jump up some, when rolled off the centerstand. My last few bikes run straight as an arrow at that combination. If you show 37 on the tires, that's most likely too low.

A higher pressure in rear suspension will help the centerstand problem, for sure.

What Rudy says. The speedo cable is most likely dry up at the top, and the input bearing of speedo head could be getting tight. Also, the cables could have too much slack at servo.

Now that I think of it, didn't the later cruise run off the ignition, and not the speedo?. There was a change in that dept, on the later model 1500's, but my forgetter is kicking in here. Maybe using speedo and ignition pulses?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

My experience is pretty much the same..

I have new E3s on it and it is pretty stable at high speeds but a little more "squirrely" at lower speeds.. needs input.. quite different than my GL1100 which is more stable at low speeds...

as for the cruise, you might have a bad cable.. that will certainly do it, but my experience is that even under the best of circumstances, it has a slowoscillation.. like said.. can't even see it in the speedo, but can feel the power slightly coming on and off every 5 or10 seconds when you think it shouldn't.. my fix was a little unorthodox.. I added some stiffness to the system by adding spring tension to the cruise cable (under the airbox, andNOT to the throttle linkage, either) and some additional volume at the actuator to reduce the gain.. it is 95% gone, but still not perfect (compared to my cars and my Rostra I installed on my GL1100)

and welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Wow - that was fast!
Yes, the "hunt" on the CC is just something I can feel - you can't see it on the speedo. You just feel a very mild accel, then a decel. I guess it could be slop in the cable, as the system would overshoot a bit, then recover, I'll have to investigate more fully.
I just went to 38 front an 41 rear on the tires, and I'll crank up the rear suspension pressure a bit & see what happens.
Thanks for all the replies! I'll see if I can find that centerstand video.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

NevadaDave wrote:
....I'll see if I can find that centerstand video.
The search function hereis a little enemic unti they get the remaining 80% of the posts indexed.. but using the google search of the site, I found THIS its for the 1800 but applies to all.. click on the centerstand video.. I find that I still have to lift a little on the passenger grip as I put my weight onto the stand.... and more air in the rear suspension helps too..

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Nevada Dave, I like your name............

Congratulations on the purchase of the '99 Wing.

I also have a '99 Gold Wing SE that I bought new. It has 157,538 miles as of today and has been a good bike.

Check your private messages, you should find one from me. Was a little too long to post here.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I wrestled with getting the beast on the center stand for about 3 months before I realized the PO installed a ride on/off stand. The manual method is not that hard once you get the rythm sorted out. With a ride off stand while sitting on the seat, you just put your left heel on the center stand pad, put pressure on it like you're standing up, put it in reverse, and back it up onto the stand. Put in gear and just let out the clutch to ride off. Check what you've got installed. Could save you some back aches.

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello

For the "hunting" on the highway , it could be as simple as tire wear . I would suggest get the bike on the center stand , then jack up the front wheel . Now check the head bearings . They can be worn and have taken a " set point " where the bearings have settled into one place . They could have been tightened to much by someone wanting to correct the " low speed wobble " . Oh you may not have heard of that yet . It seems that most wings will develop a wobble in the front when decelerating between 40 and 30 mph . It can be from loose head bearings or bad tires . Its most noticable should you ever remove both hands from the bars at the same time while slowing thru that particular speed . SO anyhow if it had that tendancy the PO may have tightened the bearings to help stop that .

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
imported post

I also have Metzler tires and I run about 41psi front and rear. When my last set started nearing the end of their service life, I had the wandering problem. A fresh set of new Metzlers cured that problem. Also 50psi on the rear air shock might be a little excessive unless you normally run 2 up or are a little on the heavier side. For me, I run about 15-20psi in the shock but I also have the progressive 450IAS shock set on the 2nd notch on the other side. I am just shy of 200lbs and this is perfect for me.

As far as the center stand, once you get the technique, it requires very little effort. I have done it wearing my moccasin slippers. The key is to get both sides of the bottom of the stand touching the ground by rocking the bike slightly back and forth while stepping on the stand with your right foot. At the same time, grip the left handlebar in left hand and the rear left passenger handle in the right hand. When both sides of the stand are on the ground, start to pull up on the rear passenger handle and press down with your right foot.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I had Metz 880's on my VTX, which is a lighter bike. Metz recommended 38/40 for solo riding and 40/42 for sustained two-up riding. Since the wing is so much heavier, I would probably go for the 40/42 full time.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I am suspecting too low air pressure in the tires.My 1500 trike really amplifies any wandering/hunting tendancies, and I stopped fooling with tire pressures to get a softer ride, and put the reccomended air in, and the thing was tracking much better. Also in agreement with checking the steering head bearings for adjustment. Welcome to the forum, and you will enjoy the comfort the wing offers. I miss the "2 wheel" handling, but the distance I can ride on a wing is worth the sacrifice! Have fun, and again welcome! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Well, the higher tire pressures & a bit more in the suspension seemed to help. My wife & I just did about 120 miles today with some friends & it was the most fun ride I've had in a long time! The comfort was great, but I was really surprised by the stability in corners - very neutral & didn't feel twitchy at all. After seeing the video about how to get it up on the centerstand, I think I can handle that OK now.
Thanks to all for the advice & we look forward to many miles of smooth riding!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I had a bad wobble going straight and was fixed by tightining fork head nut and new tires. No hands flight was improved greatly. Cruise flying seems to depend on grade , and road crown, I gained on my Harley buddies on hills and kept even otherwise.

My center stand motions: bike in neutral , side stand down, standing on left of bike with left hand on left handle bar grip makeing sure front wheel is striaght ahead, right foot on center stand peg, right hand on left rear seat grip, right knee leaning on seat or left center of bike, push down a bit with right foot on peg and your knee and body a bit forward until you notice bike is balancing on center peg feet, then in one move push down hard with right foot and pull up and a bit and back with right hand .I practiced this a few times. Now is very easy.

dj

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

for your handling...your neck bearings might need touching up...depending on milage...i like carson....i used to live in sparks....cruz sounds like a minor adjustment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.