Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I joined a bit ago when I was searching for a Goldwing to replace my '97 Pacific Coast. Found a great '93 GL1500 SE that I have been LOVING for the last few weeks. It's been a few years since I had my previous Goldwing, a GL 1100. I LOVE(D) this new bike! Put a thousand miles on it in the first 3 weeks!

Unfortunately for the bike, my wife and I were hit by a red-light runner as we were just pulling away from the line at the green light this weekend. SUPER fortunately, no major injuries, and we were wearing full-fact helmets, padded mesh jackets (hotter than all get-out down here this time of year) and gloves. No road rash, and the other driver was cited.

But I'm looking for recommendations of a shop in the Mesa/Phoenix area to have the bike looked at. I'd be shocked if it wasn't totalled, but really, it didn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would when we went to the yard the next day. Crash bars bent, windshield half gone, my leg tweaked the bars on the way over, and other misc scratches, and some leaking oil. Not even sure where to look, and whom to trust for a good estimate. The bike was in really, really great shape! 52K miles. First crash for me, so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of rebuilds on a 26 year old bike. Suggestions welcome, or directions to a more local forum, or section, that might have more specific information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
You should have just posted with your old log in, but...

D&D is a good place to start. 480-731-9003

You'll probably need a lot of plastic and the oil leak is probably a broken valve cover due to an aftermarket foot rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip on D&D, I'll give them a call!

I probably didn't explain that very well, I don't have an old login. I had the GL1100 a long time ago, before the forum existed... Recently upgraded my Pacific Coast to the GL1500.

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum family . Sorry to hear you had the mishap, but glad you and the Mrs were not seriously injured. I hope you are able to find help in repairs and receive satisfaction from the culprits insurance.

·
Premium Member
58,418 Posts
Hallo azfj60

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
It doesn't take much damage to "total" a 1993 Gold Wing.

This sounds like something you could easily repair yourself (if mechanically inclined).

When my friends 1989 Gold Wing Trike was damaged in an accident, it was considered "totaled" by the insurance adjuster. He negotiated with the adjuster to have it estimated slightly under the total amount so he could keep the Trike and rebuild it. He didn't want it totaled, buy it back, and have a salvage title.....!!

We rebuilt it and he actually had money left over in the deal......!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I guess now the "fun" begins. Still super blessed to be without serious injury! I talked to D&D, and will likely get the bike up there if there's hope of a repair instead of a total.

·
Magic Moderator
4,225 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sad to read your bike was damaged, as long as you're okay is what matters.
Plastic parts off Ebay or a salvage yard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info and advice! The bike is, as expected, a total loss. Is there any value to buying it back and parting it out? Is there a lot of demand for 1993-ish parts? Everything south of the forks is in decent shape except handlebars (metal), windshield, crash bars, grips, and maybe a few other tidbits. Just not sure if these are a dime-a-dozen, or enough discontinued parts to warrant a part-out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sounds like you need forks, probably a wheel, handlebars, windshield and crash bars... Those parts are "findable", any damaged "tupperware" is repairable. Numerous threads on ABS repair on this and our "Sister" site Goldwingdocs.com. Member T_Birdman there is repairing his '93 after an accident...

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51675

Might give you some ideas what to do.....

·
Magic Moderator
4,225 Posts
Hit the salvage yards and get the parts you need. The insurance company will auction it and a bike shop will repair it and sell it for more money after repairs.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Thanks for all the good info and advice! The bike is, as expected, a total loss. Is there any value to buying it back and parting it out? Is there a lot of demand for 1993-ish parts? Everything south of the forks is in decent shape except handlebars (metal), windshield, crash bars, grips, and maybe a few other tidbits. Just not sure if these are a dime-a-dozen, or enough discontinued parts to warrant a part-out.
Normally the fork tubes are the only items regarding forks that are damaged. They are usually bent. All fork tubes from 1988 - 2000 are interchangeable. We installed 1989 fork tubes on a 1999 Gold Wing last year. Yeah I know you will find different part numbers throughout the years. I also know why and its not worth explaining....!

You may consider making a list of the parts needed then pricing them out.

Then you could decide if you might want to repair it or part it out. There is not a huge demand for used Gold Wing parts.

If you are mechanically inclined (and depending on how much damage), repairing it could be your friend.

It is pretty easy to work on the GL1500's. You could get lots of help from this forum....!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think I would take the insurance money, you should get a good pay out from them and put some money with it and upgrade to the newest model Goldwing You can afford. 1800 in the late 2000's. I have a 1993 GL1500 and I have rebuilt just about every part of it, I rode it to Yuma AZ from Selma Ca 3 weeks ago. It's a great bike but something a little newer would be better. That would be my choice, I know a lot of people love the 1500 but I think I would like a newer bike. Fuel injection, ABS and all the electronic's are really nice.

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
no way you can buy it back, and sell of the parts and make money.

eBay charges too much to use their service.
a few parts will be in demand, the same as the ones you have broken now.

take the insurance money, add 3 or 4 bucks and get a new ride.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
You should be able to get "loss of use" out of their insurance also. They will deny it and act like they have never heard of such a thing. I have gotten it twice now.

First time in 2005 when my 83 GL1100 was totalled and i got $750 + a nice amount for the totalled Wing. I didn't know anything about it but State Farm brought it up.
Helped toward purchase of 88GL1500.

State Farm again but said they never heard of it before, so i told them they paid me in 2005 and should do it again.
When my '12 was damaged($2000), all i get out of them was 3 days "loss of use" even though it was in the shop for 2 weeks. I think it was $360. Better than nothing anyhow.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
You should be able to get "loss of use" out of their insurance also. They will deny it and act like they have never heard of such a thing. I have gotten it twice now.

First time in 2005 when my 83 GL1100 was totalled and i got $750 + a nice amount for the totalled Wing. I didn't know anything about it but State Farm brought it up.
Helped toward purchase of 88GL1500.

State Farm again but said they never heard of it before, so i told them they paid me in 2005 and should do it again.
When my '12 was damaged($2000), all i get out of them was 3 days "loss of use" even though it was in the shop for 2 weeks. I think it was $360. Better than nothing anyhow.
The insurance company could have also offered rental car use (rather than cash payment). They just need to cover "loss of use", not necessarily in cash form.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts