Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After getting the new bike, I find nothing in the manual about break-in. It used to be you had to baby 'em and vary the RPMs for the first 500 miles or so. Is that still true?

Also, it shows the first oil change at 4000 miles :shock:. I don't think I'm gonna honor that, it's gonna be at 50 miles, then 4K.

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't do the 1/4 mile just yet, but, it's pretty well ready to ride as normal. Maybe avoid steady speed for the first 500.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Hey Busted Knuckle,

This is 2009, there is never a need to change out the oil early on any vehicle any longer. That was done in the past due to the inconsistancy of manufacturers. Parts that come off the line today are made under precision requirements.

There is no traditional break-in period that used to around 500 or a 1000 miles. But...it's your money and your bike, you can do exactly as you please!

Just ride!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on the new ride!

You should always be careful in the turns with new tires, they don’t grip properly until the mold release wears off. After about hundred miles you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey Busted Knuckle,

This is 2009, there is never a need to change out the oil early on any vehicle any longer. That was done in the past due to the inconsistancy of manufacturers. Parts that come off the line today are made under precision requirements.

There is no traditional break-in period that used to around 500 or a 1000 miles. But...it's your money and your bike, you can do exactly as you please!

Just ride!!
That was what I grew up with - too much slop in the manufacturing process and metal filings in the break in oil.

Oh well. Got a great warranty, might as well ride instead.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I change my oil every 4,000, unless on a ride, then I will extend it, since I'm changing it more often than recommended. Probably a waste of good oil, but 8,000 seems a bit of a stretch to me.

The final drive oil is not recommended for change until 8,000, but that seems a little long to me.

I bought mine used with 4500 miles, got home with about 7,500 miles on it, but if I had bought it new, I know I would have done an initial oil change at 500 - old habits are hard to break, even thought I believe Big Kahuna is correct in his statements.

Still, even the finally machined parts of today gotta get used to each other and new oil is cheap insurance.

I know, I know, I'm wasting good oil and time.

As far as break-in, it can't hurt to take it easily for awhile, I don't think you need to baby it, but you probably should refrain from taching it out and shifting at high rpms for a while and I don't ride at set speeds continously for at least the first 1,000 miles , but once again, I concede, probably Big Kahuna is right and I'm stuck in my old ways.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

The dealer I bought from is 80 miles from home. I jumped on the interstate, and was home in an hour (or less). I find the maintenance schedule to be overboard, in some areas at least.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,521 Posts
imported post

The engine oil? about 5 to 7 thousand, unless I hear the tappets, then right away.

the rear end? In the spring when it starts getting warm again.

But, mine was a daily driver to work/back and long trips.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I have a new 1800. Book says 4K then every 8k. One dealer says change at 2000, another at 600. Everybody has an opinion. Im gonna change about 1500 then at 4 then every 8. Here we go. I might not keep it that long however. It is not comfortable for me. Good luck with your new wing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Go by the book. 4k first change - then 8k - no need to get ride of perfectly good oil too soon.

I just changed my new bike oil at 4k and will go 8k after that. I just sold my 2002 that had I had put 149,000 miles on, by going by the book. After all they should know what they are talking about since they designed it!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

So no maintenance issues in almost 150K? That's the best endorsement of following the book I've seen.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I changed mine, the first time, at 500 mi. I also changed out the rear end oil at the same time. I kept things fairly calm, the first 1,000 miles. The best consensus I could get, from the mechanics, was to break it in the way you're going to ride it.

Which is exactly what I did. I didn't like the way it shifted, clunked to much, so I went over to 20/50. Much better. I ride it. I don't baby it. Still I tend to ease the throttle up, but I wind it up (shift around 4000). I like to keep my R's between 2800 and 3300 (+/-). I spin the gears when I down shift. Ala Woopa

I got the maintenance package, so my oil changes are virtually free. So, I change it when I am in the mood. Every 1,000 or so.

This thing rocks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.