Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having ridden for 50 years, I took the plunge and bought a 2012 wing this year. It's a great bike but one thing I found that is a lot different from every other bike I have owned is that the front end is super hard to steer going at extremely slow speeds.

I first noticed it in a stop and go, 5 mile long interstate traffic jam. I was like a drunk driver, wiggling all over. The front wheel just was going all over the place but became stable as soon as the clutch was full released.

I don't know if this is normal or if it has something to do with the change in tires on the 2012?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Goldwing is big and havy motorcycle. If you get it after CB250 you made mistake. I am sure (almost) nothing wrong with2012 bike. You just need to get use to weight of it.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

There is definately a learning curve with a Goldwing but a lot of stop and go in town and traffic will help you master it in time. Slow riding practice in empty parking lots doing circles and figure eights will help a lot.:thumbsup:

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

You don't say how many miles are on the bike so far, but cupping of the tires can cause this. You might also check the tire pressure; it's a heavy bike, of course, and many of us -- maybe most of us --run around 40 PSI in them. If you search the forum, you'll find many threads discussing tire psi.

Just my $.02.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Bridgestones are supposed to be a lot better than the previous Dunnies they installed on those. Perhaps you need to air the tires up a bit. Keep in mind that they are radial tires too. Those alwaysfeel sluggish to me compared to bias plys.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I've never been on a bike before that acted as if the front wheel was on ice at a real slow speed. Would a higher pre-load help any? Totally different from my VTX.

The wing rides so nice though as long as I'm not in a turtle crawl. My wife made a special point of calling the dealer and thank him. Hauling her around on the back of the VTX, even with it's Mustang seat and cushy backrest never quite did it for her.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Like others have said, make sure your air pressure is up in the 40+ PSI range.

Also, a light touch on the rear brake pedal will help in that situation. It's a bit of adjustment when coming from a smaller/lighter bike, but you'll catch on. Practice makes perfect!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Maybe you should let someone else ride it to check things out. 'Wings have a low center of gravity and generally handle better than other bikes at slow speed. Just pick your feet up and look where you want to go. If the bike's working correctly, it will take you there.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

When I first got my 1800, I had the same problem as you are having. It's not the bike. It is you not use to it. It took me a while to get use to it and still have that problem on a bad or off day.:action:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

And if you do not find that it gets better as you get used to the bike, you might wish to put it on the center stand, jack in front of that to get the front wheel off the ground and then carefully and slowly turn the front wheel from lock to lock to ensure that the stem bearings are not too tight. The wheel should fall to each side after being turned 10 to 15 degrees in that direction, and there should be no restriction or binding.

I too found the bike much different to ride than what I had been accustomed to, but slow speed handling was not my problem.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

lift the front of the bike and see if the handlebars turn freely, there is probably something wrong with the neck bearings.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Its a brand new 2012 Wing. Not likely anything wrong with the bearings.

Ken has it right. Ride the foot brake which also engages one front disc along with the rear disc. Feather the clutch, throttle AND foot brake, keep your feet on the pegs (unless dead stopped) and most improtant - RELAX - soon you be able to stop for a moment, feet still on the pegs and balanced. It is a thing of beauty!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This is classic "new to Goldwings" stuff. Nothing wrong with your bike, I very much doubt, this is simply the new feeling that we all experience in stop start traffic.
Rather than trickling along with the traffic, right behind the vehicle in front, leave a bit more of a gap and when moving forward, be positive, lift feet up and just plant both on the ground as you stop, not before and not after, but practice timing your feet being planted on the ground.
If you are literally crawling along at walking pace, the Dusty Boots more or less nailed the method, light rear brake will help, whilst accelerating just gently.
I feel very sorry for you guys over the pond, where only the Californians can do lane splitting, we can do this legally and stops most of that messing about that you have to do, stopping behind other traffic.

Thinking positively, don't worry about the problem, you should learn to master it. Remember, practice, practice, practice. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

A word to a new GW rider... Keep your hands OFF the front brake lever at low speeds (under, say, 3 or 4 MPH) If you are turning a little, like entering a parking spot, the front brake will pull you to the ground like a magnet. The good news is that the dammit bars protect the bike very well, and it's unlikely you will sustain any damage, other than to your ego.
----Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't dream of prying Dandy Dave.... ;):ssshh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.