Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi guys,

New member here. I just sold my 1982 GL1100 and am in the process of buying a new motorcycle. I have been looking around at all the new models from cruisers to tourers and have my choices down to about 3 or 4. I would like to buy another goldwing, but have to consider my finances at present. Don't know if I can pull it off. My question is:

Which motorcycle between the new 2009 Kawasaki Nomad/Voyager and the 2009 Goldwing has better gas mileage. All things being equal of course.

Thanks,

Goldwingtx

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

`
I've seen mileage reports on the GL1800s in the middle 40's quite often. A few reports of more than 50 under good conditions, slow just gawking at the views.

I think though, that once you get used to the flat 4 like you have, that going to a vertical twin is going to be a little bit of a let down.

For me, it is a no contest situation, it would be the 1800 all the way.

New? Not necessarily, I would take a look at
www.searchtempest.com

Here is a search that I use that finds all the bikes with a 500 mile radius of me:

500 miles of Phoenix, AZ

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Kind of interesting. People ask me what kind of mileage I get on my GL1800. I don't know. I figure it gets what it gets and either I can afford fuel or I cannot. If the ride is better and the economy is lower, I'll take the better ride.
Guess that doesn't help you, but I'd take the better ride regardless.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks AZGL1500. I am really setting my sights on a new goldwing, but wanted to keep my options open. It is just the price that I really have to consider.

Have you heard about the new 2010 model? Any changes coming up for that goldwing compared to the ones out now?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Yeah, I know what you mean bbach. I really am leaning towards the new Goldwing. I'm trying to find out if I should wait for the new 2010 one, even though it is going to be right out of Japan.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you loved the smoothness of your 1100.. you will definitely love the 1800. the v-twin engine tends to be really shaking no matter what they do.

you better test ride each of them.

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

goldwingtx wrote:
Hi guys,

New member here. I just sold my 1982 GL1100 and am in the process of buying a new motorcycle. I have been looking around at all the new models from cruisers to tourers and have my choices down to about 3 or 4. I would like to buy another goldwing, but have to consider my finances at present. Don't know if I can pull it off. My question is:

Which motorcycle between the new 2009 Kawasaki Nomad/Voyager and the 2009 Goldwing has better gas mileage. All things being equal of course.

Thanks,

Goldwingtx
I would say there should be one and only one bike to consider, A brand new Honda Goldwing GL1800 you will kick yourself later if you don't buy a Goldwing, ask me how I know this:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Yeah William,

I have test driven the 1800 and your right, it just as smooth as I would expect from all Goldwings. It's just that they are so pricey, and at this time, I have to make some hard decisions. That's why I was considering the Voyager.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

The newer bikes are pricey. But now is the time to go in and see what deal they can make you on an 08 that is new. There are lots still sitting around waiting to be sold. I got mine last August and love it. Hell look at what they are going for on E-Bay. You are not going to find that kind of discounting on a Kow or HD or BMW

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Another thing to try would be look for a slightly used 1800 from someone who is in a bind so to speak. If you have never been, go to http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php and check out the for sale forum. There are some really good deals on there and some that are not so good, but you never know

2006 w premium audio 22k miles several extras $14k

2007 superbrace, trailer hitch, cb $15k

2006 with nav and abs 24k miles heated grips lots of extras $15,500
this one is in Austin Tx

Those are just a few from the first 2 pages!!!

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

goldwingtx wrote:
Hey wingpass, how do you know this?
I got a Honda 2006 ST1300 and tried to turn it into a Goldwing$$$ I should have gotten the Goldwing in the first place Night & day.

The GL1800riders board wants more for the used bikes than new , most times:cheeky1:

Buy new, I got $3850 off MSRP on my 2009 Airbag Level 4.

Go for it..............:11brown:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

Save yourself some $$$ and go with slightly used. Especially if the amount of miles per gallon is becoming a factor.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

MPG = 38 to 42 depending on how and where I ride. If I'm towing the trailer with the wife in the rear seat I sometimes drop to 35 when riding into a head wind at 70+.

Rubbernecking in a scenic area = 42+.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.