Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i picked up a 1999 Goldwing gl1500 SE with a leham tirk conversion , from an estate . This unit has 17000 miles on it , i was surprised when i put fresh gas and a battery in it and rode it home ,
my questions are as follows
1. since i have no history , other than the tires have a date code of 2014 , what should be replaced ? i have been told timing belts are age sensitive . any other advice?
2. i have noticed the clutch seems a little draggy , it will release like it should but if its started in first gear you can feel a slight surge , is this normal ? or am i just being to picky
3. the ignition key , i have one key and it appears to be a copy , all of the locks work , but the ignition switch seems to have a slight catch in it at times , is there a way to find the original key code ?
this is a short list , i thought i would ask the experts for help , i got this for my wife since she had knee surgery she was having trouble handing her vstar
Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
Since you have no history on it change the belts immediately.
Most of the time rubber valve stems fail from age before the tires.
Bleed the clutch & the brakes, fluid gets old, absorbs moisture and needs changed.
The key code is on all of the locks, fuel door is easiest to get to. Have a key cut to code, not copied.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
What they said. Change all the fluids and the belts. Date code 2014 is getting old so new shoes are a great idea and you will most likely notice the difference in a big way.
Bleeding/flushing the brake and clutch fluids is easy and has good effect.
When you replace the rear tire be sure that the 3 O-rings are in good shape on the rear drive unit and lube the drive splines

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
Take a look also at the sub air filter. It is located behind the shelter on right appx where your knee goes when driving. As it gets old, it can dry out and crumble. Take it out, inspect it. If not crumbling, clean it, oil it with motor oil and squeeze out the excess.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Just a Tip...................

The same lock is used on the "fuel filler door" and the "right fairing compartment pocket".

There is a reason I mention this.........!!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
What they said. Change all the fluids and the belts. Date code 2014 is getting old so new shoes are a great idea and you will most likely notice the difference in a big way.
Bleeding/flushing the brake and clutch fluids is easy and has good effect.
When you replace the rear tire be sure that the 3 O-rings are in good shape on the rear drive unit and lube the drive splines

OP indicated he has a Trike....!:D

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
Missed that... Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts