Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

installed all new gromets to hold on side covers.. now they seem to be way to tight when renoving side covers. already broke off one spike on side cover.. what can i do to make the covers come off a bit easier?? thanks

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Assuming you have bought the Honda grommets, you might apply a little silicone grease to the grommets or pegs.

The really important thing about the covers is making sure you have a securing cord of some sort to save them from going down the road if they come loose. Time and time again we hear of members who loose a side panel or in the case of the older models a lid from the boxes.

You say you have already broken one of the pegs, well you might try re building it using plumbers ABS cement, if you still have the broken off peg all the better.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes very important to keep good fresh grommets so the side covers do not blow off and become lost and or damaged. But also a light coating of silicone or some type of grease that does not react with rubber is also mandatory as it allows the removal and installation of the covers easily, but still grips tight enough not to allow them to blow off.

If you still have the broken off peg, drill a hole in the peg and a hole in the cover where the thicker base part is and using a good epoxy made for plastics glue it all back together and let it sit and cure for a couple days, use a slow cure epoxy as it is strong, not a five minute fast set. By putting a metal pin inside the peg in the holes you drill you strengthen the part stronger than new. A drift pin works well, you do want it to fit somewhat tight. But still loose enough you can coat it with the epoxy.

Kit

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thinking on the lines of Kit, if you have unfortunately lost the broken peg, perhaps you might be able to drill into the remainder of the stub and then screw in a bolt/ screw to give you a start to build it back up again. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I use a very, verylight coat of Vaseline.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks for all the reply's. i have silicone grease i bought to apply to parts when i changed out my brake pads, will that work ? or just usethe vaseline like keener suggested. but how do you use a securing cord so they won't fly off going down the road? i did find the peg still there in the gromment so now i will pick up some black abs cement to fix that thanks again

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 one of the pegs was mounted on a "bridge" that a cord can be threaded through and then tied off to the framework of the bike, under where the cover goes. I just used a short length of nylon thin cord.

Either the silicone grease or the vasaline will work equally well and neither should react to the rubber.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

I have heard of some using plastic zip ties to keep the groumets in place. I have already lost one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.