Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Found a 87 GL1200 on local Craigslist. Here is description:

"1987 Honda GL 1200 I Great bike. Has windshield, hard saddle bags, trunk .. Rides Great.. Possibly needs stator or voltage regulator replaced. $1,200 or best offer.
please contact me for more details "

I sent an e-mail asking why he thinks stator or regulator needs replaced. Also asked about mileage and services. I would consider a poorboy conversion. Any thoughts on this bike? Anything I should look for if I go take a look? Doesn't look too bad from pics on CL.

Thanks for the help.:waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You should ask to see pictures of the bike first, in case it's a pile of junk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

The price indicates it might have several problems. If you can ride it, listen for trans. and engine noise. Look for water and oil leaks. I would also check for bearing problems in the wheels--the rear for sure. See if the title is clean and clear--not salvaged. There should be a good solid frame--not bent or rusted through. The front fork seals could need attention. Check for any back-yard riggings. Other on this sight will have other inputs. If you are buying it for parts, some of these points could be overlooked. Welcome to the sight!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I bought an 87 for 1000 bucks, put about 500 in it, cleaned up the wiring and now ready to go another 30 years. You WILL have to fix some electrical issues no matter what, just be sure there are not any major issues, another 1000 dollars and you could have a real good runner that you are familiar with from fixing up. That way you also know what has been fixed and how to do it along the hiway if you ever need to.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still looking. The bike sold before I got a chance to look at it. I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Be aware that many '84 and '85 models had problems with the rear wheel where the right side wheel bearing goes. This cannot be repaired by replacing the bearing, the wheel itself is damaged. I ran into this problem with my '85 LTD, and a very generous member here was nice enough to give me another wheel. The only repair is to find a machine shop willing to work on it (which I haven't yet) machine it out, and install a sleeve.

The other issue with all '84-'87 models is charging system problems, of all kinds. My '85 LTD charges fine, but the regulator runs hot enough to set the wiring on fire.

While I decided I like the fuel injection system, If you are looking for basically a project bike, or one with several problems cheap, I would avoid the LTD/SEI. While they are not that difficult to learn to work on, they can be difficult to troubleshoot, and parts are hard to get.

Also consider just how much you are willing to do. If this would be your first project bike, don't get in over your head like I did. I have rebuilt several project bikes over the years, but have never run into many of the problems I have with this one. I'm getting there, but it is taking a lot longer than I first thought, and new problems keep showing up.

If you want a 'Wing you can ride right away, with minimum problems, plan to spend at least $3000 for an '87 or older. Don't overlook the '80-'83 1100 Interstate/Aspencade. JMO, but I think these are the best looking Goldwings ever made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.