Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1984 CL1200 Bobber
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Sorry to ask here but "New member" info says "go to 'My Account' at top of page" to complete my profile. Am I blind ? :) I don't see a "my account" button at the top of any page. Suggestions?

2) I recently purchased a 1984 CL1200 Bobber with 32K on it.
Trying to get educated.
The manual says to run detergent oil and to not run oil additives BC it could cause the clutch to slip.
I've also read of guys recommending the use of additives and running synthetics like Amsoil, -- I'm not sure what year(s) they were referencing or if the year makes a difference.
I know there are more oil options than in 1984 so what is the current wisdom?
Thanks
Sid

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
no you don't,
if you are using a PC, click on your AVATAR picture at the top right of the screen.

Then choose Account Settings, feel free to ask away for anything else.

as for oil, my joke it to use the one that "Tastes the best" to you...

I run Rotella T6 full synthetic in mine, 5w40, 10w30 is available also.
Walmart carries it at about $20/gallon, lots cheaper than Mobil-1 or Amsoil, and just as good.

in fact, any oil is almost 'just as good'
some just shift better, and that is where Rotella T6 works like a charm.

·
Administrator
26,145 Posts
Just be sure to use an oil that doesn't have friction modifiers. Look on the back of the container for a circle with the SE,SF, CD or whatever in the top half and nothing in the bottom half, if it has energy conserving in the circle don't use it. A whole lot of people use diesel oils.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1984 CL1200 Bobber
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Sorry to ask here but "New member" info says "go to 'My Account' at top of page" to complete my profile. Am I blind ? :) I don't see a "my account" button at the top of any page. Suggestions?

2) I recently purchased a 1984 CL1200 Bobber with 32K on it.
Trying to get educated.
The manual says to run detergent oil and to not run oil additives BC it could cause the clutch to slip.
I've also read of guys recommending the use of additives and running synthetics like Amsoil, -- I'm not sure what year(s) they were referencing or if the year makes a difference.
I know there are more oil options than in 1984 so what is the current wisdom?
Thanks
Sid
What year is yours? I've read that I shouldn't use synthetics in the old CL1200s. Mines an '84

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,575 Posts
Valvoline make a motorcycle specific oil that is sold in many (most?) Walmarts. I tried the diesel oil and didn't care for it. Went back to Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Valvoline or Castrol 4 stroke MC Oil (dinosaur, not synthetic) + a bottle of Lucas Motorcycle Oil stabilizer = hundreds of thousands of miles with no clutch slip!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
I've been a convert to Chevron Delo 400 15W/40 for years now, never had clutch or starter problems since, it's also cheap and available everywhere.

Reactions: Sidney
1 - 8 of 8 Posts