Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, brand new here.

I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, lanky frame, 32 inseam. I don't yet own a bike but really want to get something soon. I don't want a dual sport bike nor anything too modern. I'm a sucker for old school/traditional bikes, something I can learn on, work on and ultimately customize/chop/bob etc. I love the old Goldwings and from what I've researched they have a much longer wheelbase than most bikes, hence my interest, but I'm hearing mixed things about tall guys fitting on them.

Any recommendations for a "beginner" bike for a tall dude would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,514 Posts
Welcome. You do have a dilemma , The only goldwing tall guys feel comfortable on is the GL1500, which is also the heaviest and not a starter bike & definitely not something you would want to butcher.

·
life is good
1,155 Posts

I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, lanky frame, 32 inseam. I don't yet own a bike but really want to get something soon. I don't want a dual sport bike nor anything too modern. I'm a sucker for old school/traditional bikes, something I can learn on, work on and ultimately customize/chop/bob etc. I love the old Goldwings and from what I've researched they have a much longer wheelbase than most bikes, hence my interest, but I'm hearing mixed things about tall guys fitting on them.

Any recommendations for a "beginner" bike for a tall dude would be appreciated. Thanks!
start on a dirt bike.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,028 Posts
There are going to be some opposing comments about this, but I don't think any Goldwing makes a good first bike. There are a lot of good starter bikes in the 400 pound range. At 6'4" and a 32 inseam you are going to have problems with buffeting around the helmet on most windshield equipped bikes. One of the late model Triumph twins would be a reasonable place to start. I have my reasons for this statement and it is based on Safety. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
610 Posts
There are going to be some opposing comments about this, but I don't think any Goldwing makes a good first bike. There are a lot of good starter bikes in the 400 pound range. At 6'4" and a 32 inseam you are going to have problems with buffeting around the helmet on most windshield equipped bikes. One of the late model Triumph twins would be a reasonable place to start. I have my reasons for this statement and it is based on Safety. Just my 2¢
Agree with JamesPal. Lots to consider when taking on a GW. Where are you located, can you ride all year round to get enough experience to step up to a larger bike? Your safety is paramount, too large a bike at start can ruin a good riding career. In Ontario, Canada the Ministry restricts the size of your first bike on initial licencing - this is when you are new to riding, or if you gave up your motorcycle licence in the past and have to get a motorcycle licence again.

Take an initial licencing course, ride for a year, take an advanced course to further your skill set. After a couple of years look for a GW.

Don't rush it, this will also let you look for a good used GW.

Just a few thoughts on this. Good luck. Cheers

·
Registered
568 Posts
At 6' 6" with 36" inseam I am very comfortable on my 1500, and the 1100 isn't a bad fit either (the 1000, too, for that matter). I've heard of legroom complaints on the legacy 1800's, never sat on one to see. The new 1800's - ???..... Haven't sat on a 1200 either, but expect it would fit like a 1100.

I agree with the others, a Goldwing (especially a 1500, probably the heaviest of the lot) is not a good first bike, you should log a few thousand miles on something smaller.

The 1500 is not a good candidate for bobbing/chopping, but I've seen pictures of some nice 1100's and 1000's....

BTW - Welcome! :welc:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi
Im 6 foot 2 inch, i have a GL 1500 & its my first ever bike, ive had it 2 years & no problems so far. Mind you i always have the accessory that shouts in my head piece if she thinks im going to fast. But honestly no problems with the size & weight, not something to cut up though.

·
Premium Member
58,964 Posts
Hallo KRasmussen

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your search for a nice Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I doubt a 32" inseam is going to be a (fitment) problem on any of the older Goldwings. 1000 thru 1500. The 1800 may be. Your knees may touch the fairing on it. Mine do and I am only 5' 11" but with a 32" inseam.
That said, at 6' 4" you might look funny on a naked gl1000.:welc: :smile2:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Maybe a naked bike to start with a Shadow is what I would recommend at least a 700 for a starter bike. I think everyone has owned a Rebel for at least 2 months! The GL1100,1200,1500 all have plenty of leg room never rode any of the newer one's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tall biker

Hello, 6'4" 325 34 inseam
I liked my Vstrom, however, I had a Russell Day long with up one inch and back one.
My 05 wing has an Ultimate big boy. Both the seating positions were and are not ideal.

A seat may be the only answer regardless with the bike.

I agree a Goldwing may not be a good first choice. The Vstrom DL1000 handled like a bicycle. Take a class first if you have not.

Ride safe,
Mike

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
I liked my Vstrom, however, I had a Russell Day long with up one inch and back one.
My 05 wing has an Ultimate big boy. Both the seating positions were and are not ideal.

I agree a Goldwing may not be a good first choice. The Vstrom DL1000 handled like a bicycle. Take a class first if you have not.

Ride safe,
Mike
You do make that "V" look like a "Wee".

·
Registered
370 Posts

Ride safe,
Mike
You Sir are a BIG man!

I am 6"3' with a 33 inseam and I am comfortable on a 1500 with the exception of my bad hips. Just had one replaced so hopefully things get better in that respect but height wise I think a 1500 would be a good fit. Experience wide is another matter, unless you have experience with heavy bikes you do NOT want to just jump on a 950 lb. motorcycle and ride off. You WILL fall down sooner than later. And anybody that tells you they never dropped their wing is lying. Most people drop it while standing still or going slow. But without experience you could have a higher speed crash and that is not good, or cheap!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts