Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello goldwingers

my name is TIm and i would like to now if i am the only 18 year old in the world who owns a 1984 goldwing or any goldwing for that matter. I love every minute or riding it. this winter i am planning a lot of work to be done to it. i was considering a poor boy conversion. expect with out the kit because i am a ceritfied welder fabrocator and no stranger beside a lathe. i would like to know how many miles all of you have on your alternator conversion and how you like it. my stator i do not think is bad yet but the lights dim really bad when i apply the brakes and or the fan kicks on. i would like to hear what everybody has to say thank you

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tim!!

It will be interesting to see how many of the younger crowd will find this.. Probably not too many.... there are threads here that discuss goldwinger ages (do a search).. most likely, as long as you can get a license at 16, you will not be the youngest, but there are a few here that would consider you their peer in age..

Good luck on your projects.. and since you like metal/machine work, you might be interested also in some of the projects that you will find in the Reference and FAQ section..

Ohhhh... please add your location to your profile.. we like to know where our members call home.... Jim

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I've got socks older than you and so far you are the youngest Goldwing owner I have heard of. The PO of the 83 I had got it when he was 19.
Proving my age I forgot what I intended to add when I posted this originally.
Check the water level in your battery and take it to a parts store and have it tested to be sure it's up to par before you go to the trouble of installing a poor boy kit.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome Tim . You got me beat . At 52 I am far from the youngest around these parts. Have you had this 1200 long ? If its new to you ,check the alternator connection beside the battery . Its a plug with 3 yellow wires on each side. There known to be bad connections and the fix is to eliminate the plug . Cut it out and solder the wires in place. But being an adventerous type you might just enjoy the PoorBoy route .

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Here is that age thread

Lil Pete claims to have had a gold wing at 15... although he is older now..

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i have had mine for six months

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Welcome and you are not the only teenager that likes goldwings. My son is now 19. He bought his own goldwing at the age of 18. He bought a 81 1100. The bike had just turned 100,000 miles and still ran like a champ. The only problem we found was the rear brakes were worn out. He rode it for a while but sold it because of a friend that got in a bad wreck. It upset my son and he wanted to sell. He still rides my 1100 some. As soon as time and money will allow I would say he will buy another.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

:waving: Hi Timand Welcome to worlds greatest forum , the poor boy kit is the best i have seen and i have it on my 84 aspy i have about1400 miles on it with no readjustments on itI am wondering if the PO has wired the fan to the brakelight switch because the temp sensor went bad

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i think im not the youngest 1200 owner on the forum anymore. 22 years old, i had just turned 21 when i got it.
welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Hi Tim and welcome. I did a modified poorboy kit on my '80 last spring and ran all this season on it, and I'm glad I did it. I can't hang enough lights on this bike to hurt it now. :)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

Got 36,000 miles on my poor boy. Its on a 85 1200 interstate.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I have nothing to add about the poorboy, other than I'm a "keep it stock" kind of guy. Welcome to the forum, Tim.

AND, my real reason for posting................

Nice avatar, William........:cool:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

yes definitely like williams avatar.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I don't mind replacing the existing stator, if it quits out
on the road put a car battery in the saddle bag and parellel
it to the motorcycle battery with extension cord doubling it
to increase the amp carrying ability, pull the fuse on the head light and ride it home, if out over night charge it in the motel room or camp ground with a trickle charger. I would get equal charge on both battery's before attempting this and maybe but a small fuse in line with the car battery,
don't blow it up.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Let's try to keep you around - what's your safety training background?

When I was your age I thought a sidewalk wouldn't hold me when I walked on it. Don't be too cocky - people of all ages ride/drive all kinda vehicles but they also get into accidents and on any bike that's very serious stuff.

I suggest you take rider safety courses and study as much defensive driving/riding information as possible. You can practice defensive techniques and situation analysis in a car/truck too. Helps keep you riding for a long, long time.

Have fun, be safe - don't assume those cars will stop just because they have the red light or that guy turning in front of you didn't signal...

BTW - search for "yellow wires" you may need to solder splice them if your stator is still okay. I dunno much about the poor boy conversion I ride an 1100. I suppose if you wanted a lot of electrical capacity it would be a wise upgrade? Otherwise, Mother Honda gave us parts that work and with a little care will keep working.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

It would be nice to be 18 again :p

Welcome from the

Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Damn,I'd love to be 21 again, I'm not hard to please.

But Welcome to the Board.

Goldwings ain't just for old people. I got joshed alot by some riding buddies when I got mine, but I laughed back when I'd sit back, turn on my 300w XM tunes, fire up a smoke and then pull over with the rest of the crowd and watch them tug at theirs butts and say "Thankyou sir,may I have another"
I love my Oldwing. I never feel exhausted after a ride like I did on a Cruiser.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Tim, I'm so far down the the road I've forgotten what it's like to be 21. Welcome to a great forum from Canada, Eh! :cool: :)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Tim,

I have a 1984 Goldwing with the poor boy kit I put on last year. I have about 3,000 , miles with no problems. I put in on in about 10 hrs. Sure beats pulling the motor!!!! Anyway, good luck with the new wheels. E-mail if you need help with the Poorboy kit install.

AL S.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.