Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just joined your fine forum. I'm shopping for a motorcycle to replace my 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate....wishI could say it was stolen, but no, I foolishly sold it, after 9 years and 20K miles,thinking I needed a real motorcycle like a Harley.....but must admit Harleys are slugs after test driving several. So, before I actually try to sweet talk my way into a test ride with a dealer or private seller(whichI prefer)I'd like to have a bit more knowledge about Goldwings:



1. How the heck do the saddle bags open? I see no locks or any other means to get into themin the pictures ofthe newer Wings.



2. Where is the starter button...is it the tiny little knob on top of the right side controls? If so, how does it work...twist it...thumb it...what?



3. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, 250 lbs. Can I flat foot this beast?



4. I'm looking at 2006 or newer Wings. Any year to be avoided? I have a vague recollection of radiator/cooling problems on1800 Wings....?



5. I see a center stand in the pictures......can you actually heft this monster onto the center stand?



6. I don't thinkI need a CB radio but I want everything else including Navigation....is a CB worth considering?



7. Not sure I'd do this but can you get floorboards for the Wing?



8. My Valkyrie had 5 pin DIN plugs for the intercom and helmet speakers.....how many pins on 1800 Goldwing?



Thanks,



VR
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Let's start with your list after I admonish you for having a Valk and saying you wanted a "real motorcycle".:whip::whip::whip:Blasphemy!!!


1. The trunk and saddlebag release levers are under the center of the trunk on the 1500 and 1800. The 1800s also have a fob trunk release.

2. It is indeed the tiny little button, press it to start.

3. Yes, you can shorter people do.

4. All 'Wings are good ones. There was an issue due to the 'reverse airflow' of the 1800's radiators when operating a low speeds in hot weather. I believe these have been addressed.

5. Yes, putting 'Wings on the centerstand is easy once you have the knack.

6. A CB is nice if you ride with other CB equipped bikes. Navigation is debatable. You might be better off with a portable GPS. They are changing so fast that one today will be obsolete tomorrow and the Honda ones features are a lot more limited not to mention they cost quite a bit to update.

7. You can but they are of course an abomination. Better highway boards or pegs mounted on the crash bars. Heel and toe shifters are also nasty.

8. The DIN plugs are compatible between all Honda bikes so equipped, they use 5 pin plugs and sockets.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
961 Posts
imported post

Hello, and welcome to this great forum! I dunno much about 1800's, since I have a 1200 myself, but I'm 169 cms, 62 kgs, inseam 30". I always use the center stand myself, it's just a matter of tecnique. Guess the 1800 guys soon will answer your other questions. Good luck in your search for the greatest bike ever!



Bjorn
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,501 Posts
imported post

I only rode an 1800 one time and had no problem with the center stand.

I owned a 1500 and was used to it, the 1500 and the 1800 both will pop right up on the center stand when you understand the little knack of how to do it.

It is not brawn that does it, it is finesse.

Oh, I am a 31" inseam feller at 265 lbs. I really liked the 1800 that I rode. Must have been because it was so fast, it rode between the wave lengths of light (black ya know) :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Gullvingen wrote:
Hello, and welcome to this great forum! I dunno much about 1800's, since I have a 1200 myself, but I'm 169 cms, 62 kgs, inseam 30". I always use the center stand myself, it's just a matter of tecnique. Guess the 1800 guys soon will answer your other questions. Good luck in your search for the greatest bike ever!



Bjorn
Well,that's good to know......if you can hoist that puppy up on it's center stand then surely I can too. Thanks.



VR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I only rode an 1800 one time and had no problem with the center stand.

I owned a 1500 and was used to it, the 1500 and the 1800 both will pop right up on the center stand when you understand the little knack of how to do it.

It is not brawn that does it, it is finesse.

Oh, I am a 31" inseam feller at 265 lbs. I really liked the 1800 that I rode. Must have been because it was so fast, it rode between the wave lengths of light (black ya know) :D
Well, black is the fastest and my Valk was black and truly in the proper wavelength. Finese....yes.....that reminds me of the center stand on my CB 750....easy when you have the right touch.



Thanks,



VR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
imported post

I agree with most of what everyone else has told you.

You should have no prblem with what ever you decide to get.

I don't agree with the color black being the fastest, cause everyone knows RED is the fastest color you can get!!!!


Ride Safe !!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
imported post

ILL have to go with bamaeagle red is the fastest but when you have a two tone SE oh my god watch out lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
672 Posts
imported post

The starter on the 1800 is a lever at the bottom of the on the right set of controls. It says "REVERSE" on it. The same lever is used for the reverse gear.

I can't stand flat footed unless I have boots with at least 1 inch heels, but I'm 5' 6".

Getting the 1800 on the center stand is pretty easy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

clpete wrote:
The starter on the 1800 is a lever at the bottom of the on the right set of controls. It says "REVERSE" on it. The same lever is used for the reverse gear.

I can't stand flat footed unless I have boots with at least 1 inch heels, but I'm 5' 6".

Getting the 1800 on the center stand is pretty easy.
Now I'm a bit confused. There's a knob-like switch on the top of the right hand side switch assembly....what is it for? Then there's the "reverse" switch in the lower right area. You press the "reverse" switch to start the bike? If "reverse" starts the bike then how do you actually reverse the bike?



VR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

More questions: Is there a battery tender type connection/cable already built into the newer Goldwings? Is there an accessory power plug somwhere on Goldwings?



Thanks,



VR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
679 Posts
imported post

mesohornyforhonda wrote:
More questions: Is there a battery tender type connection/cable already built into the newer Goldwings? Is there an accessory power plug somwhere on Goldwings?

Thanks,

VR
No, not on my 2006, but you can easily hook one up and run the plug into the left hand tinay storage compartment under the passenger armrest. Nice place to tuck it away. Hooking it up only requires removing the seat.



There were serveral improvements made to the 1800 in 2006, stronger lighter frame, Airbag if you want it, to name a few. Check out the airbag demo on Utube.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
679 Posts
imported post

mesohornyforhonda wrote:
clpete wrote:
The starter on the 1800 is a lever at the bottom of the on the right set of controls. It says "REVERSE" on it. The same lever is used for the reverse gear.

I can't stand flat footed unless I have boots with at least 1 inch heels, but I'm 5' 6".

Getting the 1800 on the center stand is pretty easy.
Now I'm a bit confused. There's a knob-like switch on the top of the right hand side switch assembly....what is it for? Then there's the "reverse" switch in the lower right area. You press the "reverse" switch to start the bike? If "reverse" starts the bike then how do you actually reverse the bike?



VR
I think the knob like switch you are referring to on the top right handle bar is the emergency kill switch, its round, directly on top has a little thumb projection on it and the top is painted red. The Reverse switch is the start and reverse switch. To start, turn key on, neutral or clutch in&press start. To reverse, bike in neutral, press the reverse select button (just above and left of the one marked reverse) then an orange light indicates you are in reverse and the neutral light goes out - then press the reverse button to motor back with the starter motor.



I am 6'2', just a little lighter. The Wing is kinda close quartered for long-legged types. I have adapted and am comfortable, but took some getting use to. If more of you height is in your legs versus your torso, you should find one to ride, or rent one and go on a nice long ride prior to buying - just to make sure you aren't disappointed. Highway pegs are a must, especially for long legged riders. That's the worst thing I can say about an 1800, the wow list goes on and on and on.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
mesohornyforhonda wrote:
clpete wrote:
The starter on the 1800 is a lever at the bottom of the on the right set of controls. It says "REVERSE" on it. The same lever is used for the reverse gear.

I can't stand flat footed unless I have boots with at least 1 inch heels, but I'm 5' 6".

Getting the 1800 on the center stand is pretty easy.
Now I'm a bit confused. There's a knob-like switch on the top of the right hand side switch assembly....what is it for? Then there's the "reverse" switch in the lower right area. You press the "reverse" switch to start the bike? If "reverse" starts the bike then how do you actually reverse the bike?



VR
I think the knob like switch you are referring to on the top right handle bar is the emergency kill switch, its round, directly on top has a little thumb projection on it and the top is painted red. The Reverse switch is the start and reverse switch. To start, turn key on, neutral or clutch in&press start. To reverse, bike in neutral, press the reverse select button (just above and left of the one marked reverse) then an orange light indicates you are in reverse and the neutral light goes out - then press the reverse button to motor back with the starter motor.



I am 6'2', just a little lighter. The Wing is kinda close quartered for long-legged types. I have adapted and am comfortable, but took some getting use to. If more of you height is in your legs versus your torso, you should find one to ride, or rent one and go on a nice long ride prior to buying - just to make sure you aren't disappointed. Highway pegs are a must, especially for long legged riders. That's the worst thing I can say about an 1800, the wow list goes on and on and on.....
Thanks for the info, nowI understand the start/reverse operation. Good idea about test riding to be sureI fit.



VR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
44 Posts
imported post

I just bought a 2008 leftover and I am 5' 8" with a 30" Inseam and I don't have any issues with it but do love reverse in certain situations :)

I haven't even put mine on the center sand as of yet.

There are lots of gadgets to play with and distract you. I know that opinions vary but I love my loaded version (all but Air Bag). I think the Navi is one of the best I've ever used so far. I don't know what version software I have in it yet.

Let us know how you make out after the test ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
95 Posts
imported post

Let me make this easy for you, Meso...

Option A: Go to the closest dealer and test drive one. After the test drive, you'll either buy it on the spot or you'll go home and the Wing will haunt you until you go back and buy it.

Option B: Just trust the guys and gals on this forum and go buy one. We have all been there before (wondering what it would be like to own a Wing) and worrying about small details. Just trust us...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
679 Posts
imported post

Shiny_side_up wrote:
Let me make this easy for you, Meso...

Option A: Go to the closest dealer and test drive one. After the test drive, you'll either buy it on the spot or you'll go home and the Wing will haunt you until you go back and buy it.

Option B: Just trust the guys and gals on this forum and go buy one. We have all been there before (wondering what it would be like to own a Wing) and worrying about small details. Just trust us...
I found mine on Craigslist, it was in Boise (I'm in northern Cal) best of both worlds, got a almost new ride for a good price, had to ride it home - it's about 800 miles - unless you go by way of Colorado - which I did - got home after 2500 miles on it, New Ride and a Road Trip!



PS Don't ride an 1800 unless you are ready to buy one or Option A above will occur.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top