Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I pulled the light and cleaned the inside, huge difference. I do however want to put in a newer, brighter bulb. Any suggestions which would be the best for the bike? It still has the original charging system and I don't want to overload it.

Also, when I pulled it apart I found a wire with a female connection that was not connected to anything. I am assuming this is a connection if I want to put in a set of driving lights, is it? I am planning on putting driving lights in, but I don't see the need in haing them on all day long.

Advise, opinions????

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

The headlight bucket on my 83 has lost it's 'silver' so I recently replaced it with a Silverstar. Haven't taken it out at night yet, but just looking at the wall in my garage I can tell you it's considerably 'whiter', and that's with a 100w bulb in the old light.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I decided not to touch the silver on the back of bucket, I just cleaned the glass itself, Major difference. I'm just not sure what size bulb, or what stock number to go to in these new bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i went with the H4 100/65 blub. when i done my restore , about 2 years ago. no problems.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I'm using a Sylvania Silverstar 9003/HB2 ST which bolts right in. They also make a brighter light called Silverstar Ultra but I'm not able to find one in a single pack locally so I've never tried it. I've never been satisfied with any light's output on lowbeam on my hometown country roads. When time any money become available I'll put on a set of 35W driving lights. Whatever light you buy should be rated for motorcycle use.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Also, when I pulled it apart I found a wire with a female connection that was not connected to anything. I am assuming this is a connection if I want to put in a set of driving lights, is it? I am planning on putting driving lights in, but I don't see the need in haing them on all day long.
What is the color of the single wire?
The GL 1100 wiring harness is not set up to handle driving lights load/amps. Driving lights should be wired directly to the battery using a fuse, a relay and an on/off switch. The relay is controlled by the accessory connection on the fuse panel.
The headlight bulb that I used is , Silverstar H4 ST For Motorcycle Use Only

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

I believe the extra wire with the female connector is for a parking lamp. In Europe they use a second lower wattage bulb in the headlamp assembly that lights up when you turn the key to 'P'. It's intended for when the bike is parked at the side of the road at night.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
The headlight bucket on my 83 has lost it's 'silver' so I recently replaced it with a Silverstar. Haven't taken it out at night yet, but just looking at the wall in my garage I can tell you it's considerably 'whiter', and that's with a 100w bulb in the old light.
Chris, did you replace just the bulb or did you replace the lens and bucket as well? If you replaced the lens and bucket, what did you use and where did you get it?

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

An H6024 headlight for older cars replaces the original perfectly and is a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
An H6024 headlight for older cars replaces the original perfectly and is a big improvement.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Another option. I copied this from this forum.

I bought a replacement 7in headlight housingfrom autozone that had the clear diamond cut lens for about 15$ it takes all H4 bulbs and that made a very big difference with a silverstar bulb before I replaced the headlight housing the silverstar helped but jst didn't do the trick

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

My Aspencade looks just like your interstate, biut my big lens on my instrument cluster is very scratched. I just picked it up today, and put several hundred miles on it, and I found out tonite, I have 2 running lights out. One is a bad ground, and the other, the wire is out. Got to pull em out and resolder it.
On the other connection, I have no idea.
Good Luck,
Nightrider

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I just got the sealed beam 7" Silverstar and called it a day. Didn't see any H4 buckets at the parts store so that's the best I'm going to do for now.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
I just got the sealed beam 7" Silverstar and called it a day. Didn't see any H4 buckets at the parts store so that's the best I'm going to do for now.
Followed your advice and just installed the same thing in my wing. I am going to try it out in a few minutes. I want it to be good and dark.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Just got back from a short ride in the dark and I could not believe the difference. If you want more light from your 1100, I definitely recommend upgrading to the H6024 Ultrastar sealed beam headlight. Like Chris in Va, I tried the 100 watt H4 bulb in the old bucket and the new sealed beam light is way better. The problem is definitely in the bucket.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I have thought about getting a new bucket for mine, but have run in to issues locating one. I got to thinking about it, and the headlight size is not much different than the one in my old truck. Found these on a truck restoration site. Try these.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=73

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

what is the bucket you guys are talking about:?:?also will headlight H6024 work in my 82 aspencade.

thanks again (alan)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
imported post

I just finished re-assembly on my '82 GL1100 Wing. As part of this I ordered a new light from Mother Honda and put in the Sylvania "bright white" halogen. Cost of both was less than $60 and I ride home from work at night ---What a difference!!!
I also have the old light ( in good condition ) and a new OEM bulb if any one needs them---PM me and cover postage / shipping and there are yours!!!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I too replaced my stock Halogen headlamp with a Silver Star and noticed the white film on the inside of the headlamp lense. Took it apart last weekend and cleaned the inssode of the lense and this made a BIG difference in the ammount of light transmitted. The thing I can't understatnd is why is this film on the glass and not on the reflector? The mirroring on the reflector is clean and in good condition and has no sign of the white residue. Should have done this earlier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.