Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Hope you have good ventilation in there.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

is it warm now?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Along with those halogen lights, bet it's nice and warm in there.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I've got the same heater in a 3-burner model. I usually heat it up with 3 burners going then drop it down to 1 or 2 burners to maintain temp. What a difference over working without heat.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

You do need to ventilate with that heater. It can kill you.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Just not cold enough yet for it to dawn on ya. First working inside know you want heat. Next it will be cold beer in there,just plain spoiled.:cool:

Just kidding stay warm.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Those are awesome - used those for years.

Watch what the others said about ventilating - Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. When used in garages, the garage itself is usually drafty enough to make it safe. Mistakes most often come when they're used indoors in the home.

From Mexico I get a 3-burner ceramic model that runs on a propane bottle that we use indoors. Can't find them as nicely made in the USA hardware stores.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The garage is 24x30 so there's plenty of room & ventilation. The garage holds the heat pretty good because we put insulation in the walls & ceiling during a remodel a few years ago. Eventually I hope to pick up a wall mounted Heat/air conditioner setup like in motel rooms. Then no matter what the weather I'm golden out there.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Propane burns pretty clean... but not that clean.. and it is not about the size of the space as much as it is having leakage/ventilation of outside air into the space...I'd feel badly if something happened... YOu need a CO detector

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The garage also has a whirlybird on the roof so it's always pulling air & I have a roll up door on the back wall that I leave up a few inches

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Interesting but useless factoid: In Mexico they don't pump propane in the little bottles. They use Butane. That extra carbon atom makes a real interesting difference. A small to medium flame is much warmer than with Propane.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Ummm...I thought this was a family forum. Then you come in here posting pictures of half-naked motorcycles. 1500's are NOT supposed to show that much metal...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree with heat in the garage. When we moved into this house with it's three car garage (the main reason I bought the place) my first major job was to sheetrock and insulate the garage. I hate both sheetrock work and fooling with insulation but it sure was worth it the place stays about 20-30 degrees warmer even without heat in winter and about the same amount cooler in the summer.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I agree with heat in the garage. When we moved into this house with it's three car garage (the main reason I bought the place) my first major job was to sheetrock and insulate the garage. I hate both sheetrock work and fooling with insulation but it sure was worth it the place stays about 20-30 degrees warmer even without heat in winter and about the same amount cooler in the summer.
Gonna get me one of them burners like Lopeha has for this winter, and I will insulate and panel my new garage next spring.......

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

The radiant ones we have have some safety shut off feature if the CO gets high. Do not know how it works but they are supposed to be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I'm in the process of putting a natural gas line out to my shop and have installed a 30k btu heater. I'm also installing 2 ceiling fans to circulate the warm air. The shop is insulated so should help a bunch this winter. I have a unit that is supposed to heat and cool, but doesn't do that much for heat and turned out to be real expensive to run much on heat. My shop is 25'x30' also. I hope to get it finished Wed. I'm digging the trench for the gas line today. 30k isn't a lot of heat, but should be enough to get the worst of the chill off. I enjoyed having the heat out there last year from the other unit, but the increase in the electric bill was a killer.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
........Eventually I hope to pick up a wall mounted Heat/air conditioner setup like in motel rooms. Then no matter what the weather I'm golden out there.
I did the same. It's very useful for when I'm in the doghouse and have to sleep out there for a couple of nights.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I've always liked the radiant wall heaters like this one,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485121_200485121

Hangs on the wall out of the way,,,,,,,, and you can leave the propane tank outside and run the tubing in.

We use one in the house during early spring and and late Fall season,, because the big coal furnace is too much for that time of year.

For the garage,,,, I have a nice wood stove, with one of these,,,,,, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331512_200331512 ,,,,,, you wouldn't beleive how much MORE heat you save with them. I can work in a T-shirt in my 24x30 garage during dead of winter :smiler:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Or just use my garage here in Oceanside Ca.

No need for a heater here, just the turbine ent in the roof to let the heat out in the middle of the summer.

:raspberry:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.