Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I in the market for a new helmet and looking at the Shoei RF-1100 Helmet. Does any one know the weight and any feedback appreciated.:sleepy:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Do a Google on helmet reviews & you'll find all the info you need.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Another choice maybe This is the first few linesquoted fromthe Quest Review on web bike world.

"And now along comes a brand-new helmet series with the Shoei Qwest.

Here's the bottom line folks: the Shoei Qwest is everything the RF-1100 and the X-12 should be and could be.

Both of those helmets are, quite frankly, overpriced and overweight, but the Qwest is a marvel."

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

To quote a reply of mine from a different thread:

"HJC Carbon Fibre.

Of all the ones I tried, this was the most comfortable fit (walking around in the dealership for a while) and is very light weight.No problems with peripheral vision on the Wing, but I have to tilt my head down to see the V-Star spedometer.

It might get a bit warmish if summer ever gets here, but I like the secure feeling of a full face helmet."

OK, I've worn this helmet all summer and I believe I've made the right choice, for me. It fits snuggly, is very light, has some ventilation on the top of my head, and my head doesn't bounce around when riding my wife's V-Star. Other riders who've never seen a Carbon Fibre helmet were quite surprised at the lightness of this thing. The newer style quick release for the face shield really works slick(ly). Note that not all helmets are designed to fit every head shape and the Quest, which was tops on my list when I went to the helmet shop, was a bit uncomfortable for me.

On the negative side == On some of the very hot days when riding at low speed for a while, I was glad to either get the helmet off or get back out on the open highway, but that's a full face helmet quirk rather than a fault of this one. I tried my older style J&M headset but the speakers with velcro backing are painful to wear, so I don't use them and perhaps this winter I'll order up a new set with the thin speakers. Putting my sunglasses on is a slow process because I have a snug fit, in fact I broke plastic arms on two cheaper sets of sunglasses but my new set (cost over 225.00 after a $90.00 discount at my optomotrist) has thin metal arms and work fine.

Regards,

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

bartrak wrote:
I in the market for a new helmet and looking at the Shoei RF-1100 Helmet. Does any one know the weight and any feedback appreciated.:sleepy:
Some FYI's on Shoei helmets. I have the Multitec.

The shields fog if you even look at them. No fog protection from the factory at all and all of the anti-fogs I tried were basically useless in the somewhat humid Northwest. I can't imagine what they would be like in the very humid South. :shock: I fixed this problem with a pinlock system shield. Not cheap but works very well.

Second, the Multitec was listed as "helmet speaker ready". Not even close. The very shallow speaker cavities were not even close enough to being adequate for the J&M thin speakers, so I had to cut the ear cavities out.

Third, at least on the Multitec, the only part of the liner that is removable for cleaning is the cheek pads. The rest is permanent.

After my modifications I really like my helmet but I would never spend that much again for a helmet unless they fix these issues.

John

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I intend to use helmet speaker. I also have an issue in the fact that I wear glasses and most I have tried on are very difficult to put your glasses on, any suggestions besides wearing contact and eye surgery. I have tried both and not satisfied with either, back to glasses.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have 3 Shoei RF helmets 2 1000 and 1 1100. These are the best helmets on the market, as far as I am concerned. I have been riding for 40 years. I just did a 700 mile plus ride Saturday pulled helmet a couple of times for gas stops that is it. They are very comfortable, plus there are several different cheek pads to custom tailor the fit to you.
The Quest is a nice looking helmet. I looked at a couple a week ago. Picked up a Quest and a RF 1100 the quest is heavier. About a $100 cheaper. I would suggest a 1000 or 1100.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

bartrak wrote:
I intend to use helmet speaker. I also have an issue in the fact that I wear glasses and most I have tried on are very difficult to put your glasses on, any suggestions besides wearing contact and eye surgery. I have tried both and not satisfied with either, back to glasses.
Modular helmets are the best for glasses. You don't even have to take your glasses off to put your helmet on or take it off. Modular helmets are heavier and noisier than standard full face helmets though, so there is a trade-off.

John

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

...I hate my Shoei Multitec, so bought the EXO-900 Scorpion. It's lighter, quieter, cheaper, and converts to a 3/4 very easily. Love the built-in tinted flip down shade. The negs - - Speaker pockets very small, the helmet is larger overall, but a little bit lighter. Also, for oblong head, it may not be the best choice, as the chinbar is very close to mouth, hence the boom mike is right up against my lips. I dislike that part a lot. I have a surface mount mic, but had lousy experience noise wise on the Shoei. So, I'm reluctant to try it. I don't even know where it is right now. It's an Edsets mic.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/exo-900/

They call the helmet "very heavy", but it feels lighter than my Shoei. But, overall, they give it pretty high marks, at almost half the price. At least, when I bought it.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
...I hate my Shoei Multitec, so bought the EXO-900 Scorpion. It's lighter, quieter, cheaper, and converts to a 3/4 very easily. Love the built-in tinted flip down shade. The negs - - Speaker pockets very small, the helmet is larger overall, but a little bit lighter. Also, for oblong head, it may not be the best choice, as the chinbar is very close to mouth, hence the boom mike is right up against my lips. I dislike that part a lot. I have a surface mount mic, but had lousy experience noise wise on the Shoei. So, I'm reluctant to try it. I don't even know where it is right now. It's an Edsets mic.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/exo-900/

They call the helmet "very heavy", but it feels lighter than my Shoei. But, overall, they give it pretty high marks, at almost half the price. At least, when I bought it.
When I saw Scorpion came out with a modular, I was figuring on going with that because I loved my Scorpion full face helmets. I went into the local Honda shop and tried one on and it didn' fit at all. The large, which I usually take, put a ton of pressure on my forhead, and the XL was way too big. I was really disappointed in that since I was expecting it to fit like my FF helmets, which to date are the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. If you have a rounder head the Scorpion EXO-900 will work well for you, and might work OK for you if you have an oblong head if you carve some foam out of the forhead region. That's what I should have done, but I've got the Shoei Multitec working for me so I'll stick with it until I wear it out.

Bob, you should ebay your Multitec. You'll probably recover quite a bit of your purchase price. They are a very popular helmet.

BTW, how noisy is EXO-900?

John

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Been riding with the Shoei - 1100 for a few months now.

Much quieter, lighter and more comfortable than my HJC modular.

I find the venting to be great, and have not had a problem with fogging here in the sometimes damp and humid midwest.

I wear glasses under mine, and sometimes they lift off the bridge of my nose, but just slightly.

I found a really good deal at the local stealer. Last one they had and they wanted to move it to make room for snow toys.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

We use gmax 68s series helmets(full face) we both wear glasses and puttin them in after its on is not an issue. Mine is a xxl and wifes is xl...we use tinted visors all the time also instead of sunglasses. When we bought ours it came with an xtra visor of your choosing..Cost was around 140 each at local motorcycle shop..

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I just picked up the Schuberth C3 and yeah, it's expensive but it was the lightest and with their neck roll thing, the quietest modular I tried on. I wear glasses and getting that helmet on without having to take off or have my glasses drop off my nose is a breeze. They make good stuff and this helmet is very nice.

Kurt

·
Registered
117 Posts
imported post

I am looking at the Bell RS-1 full face Helmet,I found one on a closeout sale for $200 ($400 retail). Does anyone have one of these ? I would be interested in knowing if its worth the money? But then at this price not sure I could go wrong.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/bell_rs-1+helmet+-+panic+zone+black

After a day of contemplating this, I found they also have Bell Star on sale for $200 (reg $600). There is only one chose of graphic/color but at this price I can get used to about anything. I placed the order will see if I like it.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/bell_star+gobert+replica+helmet+-+paint+blem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.