Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting new Honda motorcycle. I kinda like the looks of this one with it's optional saddlebags and a top box you could tour with it. I read somewhere that they expect high 60s in mpg which would help out with a 3.2 gallon tank. After riding twist and go 600cc+ scooters for awhile now I could appreciate the dual clutch automatic tranny in the Honda. I've heard a lot of guys saying 750cc is the minimum for riding on the slab but I don't believe that anymore. These two scooters I have have plenty of steam for the freeways, no problem running at 80+ at all. And it doesn't take either of them very long to get there. I like the idea of a higher mileage motorcycle now that gas is headed for $5 again. I'm going to keep a look out at our local dealer to see one of these in person.
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2014-honda-ctx700-first-look-91515.html

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
It does look an awful lot like the DN-01... not that I'm saying that's a bad thing. Heck, lose that "fairing" and I think I'd actually consider riding one of them...

·
Premium Member
'03 & '14 gl1800s
2,274 Posts
Already show my wife it. She will be riding one as soon as my dealer can get it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I just looked a a ad for this earlier. I too think it looks like a DN-01. I used to work with a guy who had a DN-01 and loved it. Maybe this will be a good bike as well.

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
I wonder what they mean by shared engine development with the Fit? The Fit engine is a SOHC 4 valve VTEC with very little power and less than stellar fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I bought a GS750 Suzuki brand new in '78...it was a wonderful all 'round street bike. This new Honda I'm sure would perform at least as well. That class motorcycle can be tons of fun!

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I wonder what they mean by shared engine development with the Fit? The Fit engine is a SOHC 4 valve VTEC with very little power and less than stellar fuel economy.
The shared engine development seems to be pistons, valves, and cylinder head design. Just means some car parts will swap directly over to each other. Since this is a 2 cylinder, it obviously does not share the block and crank.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I look at that bike the more I'd like to try it. It would never be as good in wet weather as the Goldwing or even the Silverwing but sure looks like a fun bike to ride. With the feet forward riding position it would be easy on this old geezer's knees. With a light weight bike and riding solo 650-700ccs can be a lot of fun with modern engines. I think I could give a lot of riders a chase in the twisties with my SW. Not chasing a sport bike but I know I could hang in there with a GW, I've done that before. Most of the Harleys aren't going to out run my scoot in the curves either. Weight shifting is easy with the step through frame and makes a big difference on a light bike.

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
The shared engine development seems to be pistons, valves, and cylinder head design. Just means some car parts will swap directly over to each other. Since this is a 2 cylinder, it obviously does not share the block and crank.

So is it a VTEC engine? No mention of that in the article. Seems they would have wanted to brag on that. Pretty obvious it is not the same block and crank as a 4 cyl car engine. The fit engine is nothing new anyway, just a variation of the civic hybrid engine which has been on the road for 10 years.

It is a good looking bike though.

·
Best looking member
3,110 Posts
I like the looks of it. And little things like cutting both the front and rear rotors out of the same piece of steel wins points for ingenuity. It's amazing what they can do to save a buck when they want to. I am not sure if I am ready for a non-shifting bike just yet.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After getting used to these maxi scooters with their 600 and 650cc engines and CVT drive I'm more and more impressed with what they can do. I wish the Gilera 800cc scooter was available in the US. That thing would make Harley guys tremble at a traffic light. The CTX700 does come in both shifting and nonshifting varieties. Even if I buy another Goldwing I'll keep one of these smaller bikes be it maxi scooter or something like the CTX. I've been riding the big ones so long I'd forgotten how much fun the smaller bikes are. At first I thought UBARW was losing it going to the Wee Strom but now I think he's onto something with these smaller machines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.