Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I got my bike out this morning to go to work. I started it up, and while it was warming up, I finished gearing up, got my jacket on, my helmet, gloves. Just about to hop on and ride away, when I noticed a small wet spot on the ground.

I squatted down and looked. It was green liquid. I touched it with my finger. It was oily. I looked to see where it was coming from. Dripping from between the block and the water pump case, was oily coolant.

I said some Really Bad Words, switched the bike off, put it away, took my gear off, and drove my truck to work.

I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Better "o" rings than a water pump!! That cover IS a PIA, though! Enjoy, GS... I'll be looking for the pics.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

My bad, I thought you would have said out the weep hole if it was the pump. If you haven't changed the pump before (still have the Bakelight impeller) better to do it now, anyway!! What a pain fitting all those "o" ring in that cover!!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I was wearing gear and a helmet when I looked - so I can't say for 100% that it is the weep hole - but I'm guessing 99% sure. :)

I've ordered a new pump, and a gasket set. Won't have it for this weekend, but early next week. Why couldn't this have happened when we had two solid weeks of rain? Now it's sunny and cool and PERFECT riding weather, and my bike is sitting in the garage. ARGH!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

It doesn't take too long to get it all changed out. The most tedious part I think was getting the old gasket off the front engine cover. Mine was also a ***** mess since water was actually getting into the engine through the ruined pump shaft seal. I took way longer than normal because I rebuilt my starter and everything else decided to break down and had a higher priority (according to wifey) than the bike. Good luck and I'm looking forward to your write-up.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

What he said! ^ ...freakin gasket took forever to get cleaned off!

Good news is that it's just time consuming....I'm sure you won't have the fun I had with snapped/twisted off bolt heads getting the cover off :)

Look forward to the how-to article. If it makes you feel at all any better, the only sunny weather we had here was during my clutch replacement. Seems to have rained constantly sice the fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.