Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't ridden in 20 years, but needed a new daily driver and have been thinking about a bike to save on the fuel bill for a long time. Happened on a '90 GoldWing (which I've been drooling over since they arrived on the scene when I was 10) with only 32,450 on it, three days after I started looking (locally). Needed a Trailer, too.... and this one had it (a '92 Challenger). No maintenance records, so I'm going through the 24K checklist and replacing the Timing Belts this winter. Lots of practice in the spring before I test for the state-mandated endorsement, but would love to be riding now, because the PickUp eats a lot of gas and is currently my only transportation. The bike will also allow me to get back to my monthly random road trips and occasional back-packing. Will be looking to this site for lots of technicals, because I do my own. Glad to be here.

·
Magic Moderator
4,400 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
Could you please do me a favor and fill in your location info, as there could be a member of the forum who may live close by and could help you.

·
Premium Member
60,498 Posts
Hallo tellekutan

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Haven't ridden in 20 years, but needed a new daily driver and have been thinking about a bike to save on the fuel bill for a long time. Happened on a '90 GoldWing (which I've been drooling over since they arrived on the scene when I was 10) with only 32,450 on it, three days after I started looking (locally). Needed a Trailer, too.... and this one had it (a '92 Challenger). No maintenance records, so I'm going through the 24K checklist and replacing the Timing Belts this winter. Lots of practice in the spring before I test for the state-mandated endorsement, but would love to be riding now, because the PickUp eats a lot of gas and is currently my only transportation. The bike will also allow me to get back to my monthly random road trips and occasional back-packing. Will be looking to this site for lots of technicals, because I do my own. Glad to be here.

Do you know when most of those miles were logged on the bike....? That's not very many miles for 29 years...!

If it has been sitting for a period of time (recently), it might need some carburetor attention along with a few other items.

Good that you are going through the checklist to establish a baseline for your maintenance records.

There was a Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) recall for that year. Might want to check if it was performed.

If it was performed, there should be an "X" stamped on the frame near the battery (if the tech did the job right). You could also have the Honda dealership check the vin to verify if it was performed.

The 1990 Gold Wing SE only had one color (Pearl White). A very pretty color that Honda never used on any other year.

Give us some pictures to look at.....!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Previous owner states he purchased the bike from a guy in Kalispell, MT. I asked for maintenance records, but there were none to give; only that synthetic oil was used exclusively. I have zero history on this bike, which is why I'll be going through it in detail this winter and next spring. Baseline for maintenance, definitely! I was in the U.S.A.F and involved in aircraft maintenance and repair, and will treat this bike like an airplane, with regular maintenance and meticulous records kept. Am in the process of replacing all the fluids and will run it with fuel conditioner and fill it up for the winter. Will take a close look at the Carbs as per your suggestion. The low mileage seemed suspect to me, but I'm assuming the odometer can't be rolled back as in "olden" days. The bike appears in great condition, as if it's only got a few tens of thousands of miles on it. Also, it runs good and smooth. I figured it spent most of it's life sitting in a garage. I did research recalls and was surprised to find only the one on the BAS. Checked for the "X" and it is there. Didn't know about the Pearl White being exclusive to the '90 SE. Makes it feel even more special to me. Thanks for that. I'm shopping for gloves now and think I've decided on the Olympia 340 Protector to start. I think it's a good glove for the price point. I have an old, but basically brand new leather coat with detachable, insulated liner. It's not a riding jacket per se, but better than nothing for now. The only problem with the bike is the heel/toe shifter that doesn't work well with my size 12s. May look into going back to a peg. Any thoughts? Thanks for your response. Looking forward to gleaning lots of good tech info from you vets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Sounds like you have very good plans for maintenance etc. Glad you found the "X" and the recall had been performed. Yes, that was the only recall for 1990......!!

By the way, I see it has a CB radio. That was not standard on the 1990 SE, it was a 500.00 item (not including installation). I put one on my 1990 Gold Wing (not SE). Still have the installation instructions.

Options I see on the bike: CB Radio, Drag Specialty Driver Backrest, Floor Boards, Wind Wings, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Heal/Toe Shifter and Boards. The spoiler on the trunk was standard on the SE.

It would look really good with the 1998 - 2000 Head Light Assembly. Just a hint......!!

May I suggest a few items to change (if not already on your list). 1) Air filter, 2) Sub Air filter and 3) Cruise filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All my vehicles get that kind of attention, though sometimes I do slip a bit. I assumed the CB was standard for the SE (learn something every day). Doubt I'll use it much, though I used to carry them on my pickups. The only options I knew about were the Wind Wings, Floor Boards and Shifter (the Heel/Toe is a problem for me due to size 12 feet). A new Air Filter is already on the way. Are you suggesting an upgrade? Where would a Sub-Filter be located? Is it basically a Pre-Filter? I Elevated the Trunk Lid Rack with chrome spacers, additional neoprene washers and 1-1/2" SS button-head socket screws for under $20. Changing the Cruise Filter is on my checklist. Will also change the desiccant in the Drier, since I use blue-beads in the shop anyway. I'll take a look at the later HeadLight Assy. Doing the same kind of thing with my '87 Chevy PU. It's going to get HeadLights & Front Grille from an '89-'91 Suburban. A much more classy and modern look. Love your input! Keep it comin'!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
All my vehicles get that kind of attention, though sometimes I do slip a bit. I assumed the CB was standard for the SE (learn something every day). Doubt I'll use it much, though I used to carry them on my pickups. The only options I knew about were the Wind Wings, Floor Boards and Shifter (the Heel/Toe is a problem for me due to size 12 feet). A new Air Filter is already on the way. Are you suggesting an upgrade? Where would a Sub-Filter be located? Is it basically a Pre-Filter? I Elevated the Trunk Lid Rack with chrome spacers, additional neoprene washers and 1-1/2" SS button-head socket screws for under $20. Changing the Cruise Filter is on my checklist. Will also change the desiccant in the Drier, since I use blue-beads in the shop anyway. I'll take a look at the later HeadLight Assy. Doing the same kind of thing with my '87 Chevy PU. It's going to get HeadLights & Front Grille from an '89-'91 Suburban. A much more classy and modern look. Love your input! Keep it comin'!
I would recommend the OEM air filter.

The Sub Filter is located behind the right fairing inner panel (left of your right knee seated on the bike).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congrats on the 1990SE. We've had ours since new and triked it for my wife a few years ago when I bought a GL1800. I just couldn't part with it! BTW, the pearl white for the 1990se was the only year Honda did that particular version of pearl white. Had to pay extra for MotorTrike to match it and they did a great job. If you're curious as to what your wing would look like as a trike...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is too cool. I hope to ride another 10 years before going Trike-way. But, I did consider a Side-Car for hauling capacity (not passengers), but the Trailer made more sense. Was actually planning on building a Trailer until I found out how affordable they could be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts