Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been eyeing a wing for quite a while now and have decided to pull the trigger.

Riding a VTX now. Like to get a used GL1800 - no more than 4 years old.

I've always bought bikes new, so I'm a bit unsure where to begin a search. Cycle trader? Craig's list? Is there a time when bikes are more prevalent?

I know they don't come cheap, but I just want one a bit less expensive than new. And being fairly bulletproof, a late model used should be fine.

Any WHERE TO FIND tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
2006 and later models are safe. I'm on my 6th 1800 Goldwing and I would steer clear from 2005 and earlier. They had frame recalls, rubber boot problem between the tranny and driveshaft, oxygen sensor issues, radiator problems, speedometer failures, and a few other annoying issues. 2006 and up are very safe. I had my 2006 for 6 years and put 89,000 miles on it. I now have a 2012 and it is fantastic.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum stagecombat

What's you budget?

Craigslist is a good place to look.

Here is an 08 up near Madison, WI w/40,000 on it
http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/3466658106.html

If you take your time between now and spring you might find a lower mileage on for @ that same price though that mileage isn't bad until you go to sell it later after you put on 250,000 miles more in a couple years!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
you came to the right place newbe these guys (me too) will help you any way we can it's like a brotherhood on this forum....

My past experiance has prooven to me in Chicago area the best time to purchase a bike is right before Christmass and you can get a deal!!! So right now is better than waiting untill income tax checks are mailed because sellers will not be as hard up for cash after they get the IRS check and once checks are in buyer's hands the others ridders that are looking will make the market smaller.

I'm curently watching Chicago Craigs list and have seen some that have cought my eye...

Look for a Personal message from me...:shock:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I ended up buying a high mileage 2001... love the bike.. couldn't be happier:banana: saved $$$$$$

Budget?

when buying Is there documentation on work done on the bike ?from day 1(mine was complete) and bike history?:readit:
Have a mechanic look at it ..there were upgrades on earlier models that when completed were marked by the vin Number a dealer can help as there may be a record
this should be done with any year used bike
good luck and welcome to the forum :waving:

post Pictures of likely candidates ..we like pics

·
Premium Member
593 Posts

I've always bought bikes new, so I'm a bit unsure where to begin a search. Cycle trader? Craig's list? Is there a time when bikes are more prevalent?

I know they don't come cheap, but I just want one a bit less expensive than new. And being fairly bulletproof, a late model used should be fine.

Tips you'll find a plenty right here. I don't know where you are exactly but you can't be too far from my neck of the woods.

Welcome and enjoy this is a great place.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum, a quick answer to your question depends on geography, here in east Texas the asking price for a used 1800 was only two to three thousand less than a new1800 when i was shopping. Bought a new 2008 in March of 2009, a left over from the dealer, got a good deal. I can not disagree with any of the other posts, all of them sounds like a fine starting place.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts

I purchased my three Wings on Craigslist from local sellers and like you, bought my VTX new. You can also check the For Sale sections of forums like this one and the GL1800riders forum here: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php.

You mentioned that you wanted a GL1800, but I would suggest that you also consider the GL1500 as well. Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
2006 and later models are safe. I'm on my 6th 1800 Goldwing and I would steer clear from 2005 and earlier. They had frame recalls, rubber boot problem between the tranny and driveshaft, oxygen sensor issues, radiator problems, speedometer failures, and a few other annoying issues. 2006 and up are very safe. I had my 2006 for 6 years and put 89,000 miles on it. I now have a 2012 and it is fantastic.
Good God. I am sticking with my trusty 1500 then.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I bought a used Wing last September after combing CraigsList for close to 2 months. I watched for everything in WA, CA, OR, and NV. Finally narrowed it down from probably 20 bikes to 2 bikes one in Seattle and one in Portland. Bought the closer one with fewer miles...but paid a premium for it. No regrets. The other sources are OK for price comparisons...but with CraigsList you can narrow it down to only the areas you'd actully be interested in going to see the bike.

Not too familiar with the 1800s but you may as well get a top of the line model with all the factory bells and whistles....I'm guessing the used-price difference between an entry level 1800 and top of the line is pretty slim. I know it was that way with the 1500s.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:stagecombat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.