Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all. New member here seeking help with '00 SE CB radio problem. Starting a year or so back, my radio would sometimes stop transmitting. Reception was fine and still is but no transmission capability at all. I've tried another head set known to be good and I've removed the transmit switch and sprayed it with contact cleaner. The intercom and the radio work fine with the headset, so I don't think it's a cord or mic problem. Other riders can hear me key up the radio but there's nothing coming thru. About the only other thing I can think to do is to check the antenna and radio grounds for loose or corroded connections. Any suggestions?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum! I am 99% sure that your problem is a broken wire in a cord or mabey the plug in on your cb. The hard part is tracing it down. If you could borrow a head set from another winger, that would help.

There are normally 5 wires for a mike. 2 are for transmitt which is your key up, next 2 are for voice which is your problem & the last one is a ground.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I agree, sounds like your headsets, cords and wiring is fine. I would suspect the transmit circuit (transistor) within the actual CB itself. (naturally check the antenna ground, but if that was the problem you could not receive either)

Once repaired you would also need to balance your antenna to the radio, as when they get out of balance or never were balanced to begin with, is how the transmit circuit is burned out.

Kit

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the north country. Yes I agree and make sure you check the match from the radio to your antenna with the SWR meter. If you find you can't get it to work and your not a technician, then you can phone or Emailthe only company that I know of for advice is Sierra Electronics with a good name.There phn # 1-800 - 338 -6938. There Web site URL isWWW.sierra-mc.com. They are good and resonable according to this forum.There in Troy, Ohio. Good Luck &Let us know how everything went. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
I agree, sounds like your headsets, cords and wiring is fine. I would suspect the transmit circuit (transistor) within the actual CB itself. (naturally check the antenna ground, but if that was the problem you could not receive either)

Once repaired you would also need to balance your antenna to the radio, as when they get out of balance or never were balanced to begin with, is how the transmit circuit is burned out.
I thought this as well - but the repair tech I talked to at Sierra says that with any modern CB (i.e. made within the last 30 years or so), the finals are virtually indestructible. They have protection circuitry built into them, so you can transmit with no antenna, with a mis-matched antenna, you could even transmit with a dead short across the antenna and ground, and it still won't damage the RF power amplifier.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i dont think that guy at sierra should have said that to you, so dont key up that radio without an antenna plugged into it, it will blow, maybe not for a couple of short key ups, any longer and it will, if anything get a dummy load and put it in line, you wont need the antenna for testing the rig, if you cant find a dummy load, you can make one easy, if you have a spare pl259, preferably the one that takes the thick coax, get a 12v bulb with a small screw thread, like from a set of christmas tree lights and screw it to the pl259, put it to the rig and key up, it will light up, radio shack used to sell them for a few bucks, for the sake of a few bucks, i will cost you bigger bucks to get it fixed, i'm not sure how the wing cb's work, ive only worked on ordinary cb's,and ive put many many output and audio chips in rigs through not haveing the correctly matched

you can buy the pigtails. motorola/259 from sierra for about fifteen bucks, an swr bridge are not that expensive, your problem sounds like a broken wire, problem is finding out which one it is, do not transmit without a 50ohms load attached to the rig

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

The fact that the headset works for intercom takes a defective headset or cord out of the equation. The fact that the radio shows TX and others can hear it key up eliminates the antenna as far as being the problem. It is more likely the problem is from the CB to the main audio unit. The CB modulation on a 1500 is pre-amped in the main audio unit. Either a bad connection at the plug going into the Stereo or bad ground land on circuit board in the stereo.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

I thought this as well - but the repair tech I talked to at Sierra says that with any modern CB (i.e. made within the last 30 years or so), the finals are virtually indestructible. They have protection circuitry built into them, so you can transmit with no antenna, with a mis-matched antenna, you could even transmit with a dead short across the antenna and ground, and it still won't damage the RF power amplifier.
Could be he is right. I know very little about electronic gadgets , only what I pick up or think I learn , or get taught by doing , right or wrong. An electronics wizard I am not.

So if this is the case, then we are down to looking for a broken wire.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I can't thank you guys enough. What a great board/members and I sure am glad I stumbled on to you all.

I took the CB out tonite after work and cleaned the connections with contact cleaner. The ground wire connection was corroded so I sanded that nice and shiny and when I hooked everything back up, it worked like it was brand new. Well, at least it transmitted all the way across the garage to my wife's trike. I'm thrilled!

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will certainly be a regular here from now on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.