Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gene Lester from Harker Heights, Texas and I found your forum very interesting and entertaining. I just bought a 81 GW Interstate, and your forum has already answered any questions that I could think of. I had not ridden in several years, and before I start riding I will be taking the MSF course just to catch up. The last bike I owned was a 550/4 Honda and that was back in the eighties. I started riding in the 60's on a Yamaha 100 2 stroke street bike. I had been thinking of riding again since now all my kids are grown and gone and I had started to actively look at bikes and was looking at getting a 750 when I came across this Interstate for $1500 in really good condition, everything works, engine runs good, brand new tires and battery. I just couldn't walk away from it,and even though it is bigger than I was looking for,it was love at first sight. I've put about 50 miles on it on the back roads and once moving I have no problems, just getting use to the size and weight at slow speeds will take me a little longer, but I am not in any hurry.

On a personal note, my background is in computers and at one time I was a auto mechanic with experience in high performance engines of the late 60's to late 70's when I wasn't serving my country as a helecopter mechanic. Injured my back jumping out of perfectly good helecopters and it causes too much pain to be bent over the engine compartment of a car for long times, so in the late eighties got started playing with computers as a hobby and after retiring from the army in 98, started working on them full time. I specialize in hardware and Windows problems, so if anyone needs some advice just e-mail me.

Gene:)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forums GLester

Looks like we have at least two things in common as I am also into computers and of course wings! :grinner:

Enjoy your stay!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum GLester! :waving:

Glad you already got some use from the forum. Sounds like you have the right idea in taking the safety course. Enjoy your new Interstate!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Hey Gene, its nice that you introduced yourself :waving:. Hope you enjoy the forums, don't forget to post in Redwings anniversary roll-call.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet GLester!:waving::waving:

Never did trust those whiligigs, still think the wings should be well bolted on and stay put:tongue:It's always been my opinion that those things don't fly, they just beat the air into submission!

Anyway, glad to see you out of the closet and posting, keep it up!:cooler:

BTW was that cool little twin 100cc Yamaha?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes, it was the old twin 2 stroke with the auto oil system. Dependable as anything made and when I was almost a 100 lbs lighter, it would run 60 all day. I totally rebuilt it I think in 1972 for about $35 in parts and one weekend. I gave it to one of my relatives who ran it till about 85 and he rebuilt it again and passed it down to one of the grandkids where from what I understand it is still putting away.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. Ialso had a 500/4 and a 550/4 Honda back in the seventies and they were good bikes. They were considered a medium size bike back then--Boy have times changed. I hope you will enjoy your Wing as much as I enjoy my 83:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Hey, Gene, from the Pacific Northwest. I was just in Harker Heights last week to visit family over on Mockingbird Lane. Love that new airport there in Killeen.

Welcome to this forum, but even better, welcome to the Goldwing family. I started on a Sears Puch 165, back in 1960. The wing is definitely an improvement................JP

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

JP, I remember them old Sears bikes, friend had one, I seem to remember we had to push it more than we rode it. Had some kind of electrical gremlin in it. Ah the good old days.....

Gene:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You sure don't see many Twingles anymore like those old Puchs that Sears sold. Two cylinders with a common combustion chamber was if anything, interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Wow, didn't realize so many people knew about those ol' bikes!! Forgot to put the 2-cycle oil in the gas tank once, so I got to know the insides of the old "twingle" engine pretty well. I lived in Missouri, rode the bus down to the Sears warehouse in Memphis and got pistons, rings, gaskets, and- they actually had all the parts in stock!!!! That old bike ran great when it was running.................Yeah, itwas really nice when things got to where you could just hop on and start a bike with a key....I'll be glad to get my wing back on the road- next week they say...JP

And, now that you mention it, maybe mine was a 175, too, not a 165.... way too long ago............

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yep, those were the days when you had to know a few things about working on your own bike or car. Of course, they were built simpler than they are now. And you didn't need a whole lot of tools or money.:D

Now if you want to fix a modern bike or car, you need a sterile work area, a lot of specialized tools, a computer, plenty of prayers and a lot of luck, or just a bunch of money and let someone else fix it.:(

Gene:cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The way I feel about other folks fixing it is that the necessary knowledge isn't that hard to come by but if it takes specialized jigs or machines then I hire it done. Changing tires on my bike was a perfect example, I changed and balanced the rear but couldn't do the front due to the tire being a lot stiffer than the rear so I paid to have the front mounted. There is no one who cares about your bike like you do, so I feel better doing it myself. Same thing with the airplanes I owned.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

exavid wrote:
The way I feel about other folks fixing it is that the necessary knowledge isn't that hard to come by but if it takes specialized jigs or machines then I hire it done. Changing tires on my bike was a perfect example, I changed and balanced the rear but couldn't do the front due to the tire being a lot stiffer than the rear so I paid to have the front mounted. There is no one who cares about your bike like you do, so I feel better doing it myself. Same thing with the airplanes I owned.
Well said!

Gene:clapper:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome "GLester" to one crazy but fun and informative family !:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes, welcome...

With your knowledge of high performance cars and computers, now is the time to get back into Hot Rodding.

All the new cars are being dyno tweaked.

Just plug into the ODB-II port and grab a few mor e H.P.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Tony,

I have kind of lost interest in hot rodding, due to the modern vehicles just do not look worth the effort since they all look so d**m ugly to begin with, can't stand 4 banger cars with exhaust tips the size of duce and a half mufflers, big wings on front wheel drive, etc. Now give me a 64 Impala SS, 65 Mustang, 70 Road Runner, etc, those were real cars that you could remember when you saw them. These new cars just don't impress me enough to want to work on them. I have used a laptop to reburn a chip in a Super Duty Diesel Ford truck about a year and a half ago. And my old 1987 motor home with the 454, I've tweaked it in the carburation and ignition and exhaust to assist it in getting a few more feet to the mile on a gallon. (I just sold the MH last night, now more money for GW). But I stay busy enough at work, and don't really miss the hot rodding that much.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gene Lester from Harker Heights, Texas and I found your forum very interesting and entertaining.
Howdy GLester :waving:A Belated Welcome To The Greatest Goldwing Forum in The World.

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks Redwing, it only took 11 1/2 months for you to finally welcome me, better late than never.:D I guess after the coment I made in SilverDaves thread, you felt guilty.:D

Gene:waving::11ltblue::11ltblue::11ltblue::cooler:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.