Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up my 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SE-i a little less than a month ago. I am the 4th owner and it had slightly under 45,000 miles on it when I originally got it. I rode the bike about 50 miles home the day I bought it and it runs great for the age it is. I am new to riding and got my first bike in April of this year (Yamaha Bolt R-Spec). I have a little over 4000 miles road experience with that bike and the Goldwing is my first experience with a touring bike. My ultimate goal with the Goldwing is to tour neighboring states and ride two-up comfortably with my lady.

The information on these forums have been helping me in many ways. The bike has minor issues that mostly revolve around aging rubber components and the how-to posts here have been great. So far I rebuilt the rear air suspension with new seals/ATF and changed the final drive oil on my first project with the bike. I currently have the front fork torn apart and I am waiting for a few parts in the mail to properly rebuild them later this week. The right front fork tube was leaking badly and almost empty of fluid, I'm excited to see how the bike rides with proper fluid and new seals.

The next issue I need to tackle is fixing the absent temperature reading on the dash. The previous owner gave me a replacement thermostat, so I hope changing that will solve the issue and give me a reading. While having the radiator off I plan to replace the hoses and look for other potentially worn components.

Below is a picture of my dog next to the Goldwing right before I started tearing the front fork apart.

IMG_20191211_111522.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Older bikes (even with low mileage) usually always need some mechanical attention. Some more than others.

You may want to change all fluids, check all brake pads, change timing belts (if not previously done), remove and lube all connectors you can locate (especially the alternator connector) etc

Don't forget to check the "Date Code" on those tires......!!! You know how to read them....right...??

Before replacing the temp thermostat, you may want to check the sending unit operation and connections.......

Establish a good working baseline then go riding......!

Happy wrenching......!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Older bikes (even with low mileage) usually always need some mechanical attention. Some more than others.

You may want to change all fluids, check all brake pads, change timing belts (if not previously done), remove and lube all connectors you can locate (especially the alternator connector) etc

Don't forget to check the "Date Code" on those tires......!!! You know how to read them....right...??.

Establish a good working baseline then go riding......!

Happy wrenching......!!
Thanks for the tips! What do you use to clean and lubricate connectors on the alternator and other electrical components? I have the shelter removed right now so its a good time to get into a lot of connectors, Ill watch some videos on it.

I was a tire guy for a few years in my life so the tires were actually the first thing I inspected when I bought the bike. Front tire is 2017 rear is 2018, I don't have a tread depth gauge in the garage but the rear is well above the center wear bars but the front will need to be changed in a few thousand miles if I'm playing it safe. I checked the rear brake pads while doing the rear end shock rebuild and they are well above the wear bars, as well as the front. The previous owner actually threw in a set of front brake pads (along with tons of other parts) that he never installed so I'm ready when they need to be replaced.The timing belts are strong on my mind, I will probably change both of them for peace of mind even though the previous owner had them done during his time with the bike.

Other than no Temp read-out on the dash, it has a small leak in the rear brake system and a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the head gaskets that should be addressed soon.

Around 20k of the miles on the bike was done in the past 3 years alone, so almost a majority of the miles are recent and it has not been sitting much lately. The previous owner loved the bike, he just got an opportunity from a friend to get a newer Goldwing at a steal of a price.

·
Administrator
22,069 Posts
Hi and welcome. Where in AZ?

I strongly recommend using OEM parts whenever possible.

Look to the brake leak ASAP. Removing the rear master is a lot easier with the rear wheel off but with it off can still be a bear.

·
Premium Member
61,513 Posts
Hallo Redlyne Theory

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
Thanks!

Hi and welcome. Where in AZ?

I strongly recommend using OEM parts whenever possible.

Look to the brake leak ASAP. Removing the rear master is a lot easier with the rear wheel off but with it off can still be a bear.
Thank you, I'm in Chandler. Ive been ordering OEM parts mainly from partzilla so far. You know of any places in Arizona still stocking parts in house? The wait time with online retailers is not fun.

Yeah I need to take apart the rear end again to see whats going on with the leak. But now that I looked at it again it looks like it may be coming from the final drive, the rear brake fluid level is good.

Hallo Redlyne Theory

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,069 Posts
That kinda looks like motor oil. How thick is it and what does it smell like?

I do my parts biz with Western Honda. On-line pricing is very competitive and ship time's pretty short. I pick the parts up, usually in less than a week and save all the shipping fees.

As far as the connectors go, clean them with plastic-safe contact cleaner and use dielectric grease when you reconnect them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts