Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
New member here from Yucca Valley, CA, just above Palm Springs. I am a Park Ranger with the National Park Service.
I have a friend that has had a 1988 Wing in his garage, sitting for the past 8 years. I kept bugging him to get it running. This past summer, he said he did not see having any time for the bike and he would sell it to me at a good price. I put it on the trailer, got it home, picked up a shop manual, and went to work getting her going again.
Here it is all dusty before I started tearing it apart.

This is with the front end out to gain access to the front of the motor. Replaced timing belts, all coolant hoses, even the small ones, fork oil, new tires, and flushed the breaks and clutch with new fluid. Had to take apart most of the handle bar switches as the grease was a little on the sticky side. Cleaned them up and put in new grease, and they are like new.

Front end back together, time for the rear. Rebuilt the carbs, new rear tire, replaced the hoses for the compressor as they were cracked and leaking. Pulled the fuel pump and saw way to much rust in the bottom of the tank. Fuel pump was also messed up. Found a used rust free tank on E Bay, and put in a new fuel pump. Had to tear the rear apart a little more than what was in the shop manual to get the old tank out! Also put in new fuel hoses.

Got her back together with NO LEFT OVER PARTS!!!! It started right up like it never sat for 8 years. I have put a few hundred miles on the bike and still need to do some fine tuning on the carbs. The breaks are a little stiff, so ordered new break lines and will rebuild the calipers over the winter. It has been a fun project and I am looking forward to many miles on my first Wing!

·
Premium Member
73,634 Posts
Hallo snowmoer

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello Dan and Welcome to the Goldwing Family . It looks like your quite handy with a wrench . After all the love you have showered into the bike , it should provide many years of dependable service . I hope the ST doesnt get jealous . LOL
Ride often and enjoy the forum when you get a chance .

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:snowmoer

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a Merry CHRISTmas and a great project.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts