Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:watching: I rode my 11 on Saturday,She idled normally, but when I accelerated there was a miss fire but on tapping off to cruise she was smooth. Do I suspect a sticky needle correctly?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Johnno SA
Was this after it had warmed up or cold on choke?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you mean by "tapping off to cruise". Can you give a little better description? By "missfire" are you describing a "miss" as in it's only running on 3 cylinders, or a backfire through the carbs or exhaust? Are you experiencing the missfire under light or heavy acceleration? Is it exhibiting any other symptoms? Did you change anything before this started happening?

Before I would suspect anything with the carbs, I'd check the condition of the spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Change them if it's been a while or if they look questionable. If they're ok, I'd add some seafoam to a tank of fuel some say a full can per tank, I'd say at least a half can per tank for cleaning), run it for at least 10 to 20 miles at all engine rpms including letting it idle for a while, and park it for a few days. Seafoam is not a miracle cure for everything but in my experience it does a pretty good job on cleaning the insides of these picky carbs.

Give us a little more info when you get a chance and let us know what happens.

On edit, I just noticed your address and realized that Seafoam may not be available to you. I'm hoping someone on here can reference a similar product available in South Africa.

Best wishes,
Steve

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Tanks for your reply. The engine was warm, it had been started on choke but was fully home, and had done a couple of miles without clearing.

Johnno SA

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

unless this is an ongoing problem that has developed i wouldn't worry about it,its probably just something caused by sitting for an extended time but more riding will cure

welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area usa

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Is this a new to you bike?
Has it had a period of sitting recently for a time?
Have you changed the gas filter?
Did you have the gas Petcock turned on while riding?
Was the Petcock left on while sitting? That could be gas getting by the float valve and into a cylinder.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

It is most likely an ignition problem, plugs, wires, caps or cracked coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.